October 9, 2012
Consumer Product Safety Commission recalls for September
Recall news from the Consumer Product Safety Commission for September; click on links for more information about each recall:
• Cooper Lighting recalls shower light trim and glass lens due to impact and laceration hazards. The shower light's trim and glass lens can fall from the ceiling
fixture, posing an impact and laceration hazard to consumers.
• Summer Infant recalls to repair Mother's Touch/Deluxe Baby Bathers. Due to fall and head injury hazard, consumers should order free repair kit. When the bather is lifted and/or carried with an infant in it, its folding wire frame can suddenly disengage from the side hinge, dropping the baby out of the bather, posing a fall hazard and a risk of serious head injury to infants.
• Eecycleworks recalls bicycle brakes due to fall hazard. The bridge of the brakes can crack, posing a fall hazard to riders.
• Sherwin-Williams recalls Dupli-Color® Perfect Match™ automotive paint due to fire hazard. The aerosol paint canister can leak, posing a fire hazard to consumers if the paint can is stored near a source of ignition.
• Sherwin-Williams recalls Krylon® Triple Thick Crystal Clear Glaze and Krylon® Indoor/Outdoor Crystal Clear Acrylic Paint due to fire hazard. The aerosol canister can leak, posing a fire hazard to consumers if the can is stored near a source of ignition.
• Sherwin-Williams recalls Tree House Studio™ Clear Acrylic Matte Coating due to fire hazard. The aerosol canister can leak, posing a fire hazard to consumers if the can is stored near a source of ignition.
• Death of child prompts recall of window blinds by Blind Xpress. Blind Xpress of Livonia, Mich. is announcing the recall of about 139,000 custom-made vertical and 315,000 horizontal blinds. In 2009, a 2-year-old girl from Commerce Township, Mich., reportedly strangled in the loop of a vertical blind cord that was not attached to the wall or floor.
• Legrand Wiremold recalls under cabinet power and lighting four outlet power strips due to electric shock hazard. The electrical wires are reversed on the receptacles on the power strips, posing a risk of electrical shock.
• H&M recalls children's water bottle due to choking hazard; bottles sold exclusively at H&M stores. The water bottle's spout can break off, posing a choking hazard to children.
• True Innovations recalls Realspace Soho Prestigio High-Back Leather Office Chairs due to fall hazard; chairs sold exclusively at Office Depot. The seat plate can break, posing fall and injury hazards to consumers.
• Nearly 140 child drownings in pools and spas reported by media in summer 2012. Initial summer drowning figures are only part of the annual toll. According to information compiled from media reports and released today by the CPSC Pool Safety campaign, 137 children younger than 15 years drowned in a pool or spa during the traditional summer season of Memorial Day to Labor Day this year. An additional 168 children of that age required emergency response for near-fatal incidents in pools or spas during that period.
• Consumer Product Safet Commission announces Chairman's Commendation Award recipients. The Consumer Product Safety Commission has announced the recipients of the second annual Chairman's Commendation Awards. Four nominees were chosen for their significant contributions to consumer product safety.
• Escaping the invisible killer: New Consumer Product Safety Commission research demonstrates technology that can significantly reduce poisonous carbon monoxide from a generator. Consumers' escape time increased from eight minutes to 96 minutes. A new study released by the Consumer Product Safety Commission demonstrates that readily available technology can dramatically reduce deadly carbon monoxide emission rates from certain common portable gasoline-powered generators. The technology can provide additional critical time for consumers to recognize and escape from the deadly hazard of carbon monoxide poisoning. With the adaptation of existing emission control technology, carbon monoxide rates can be lowered to levels that would save lives. On average, carbon monoxide from portable gasoline-powered generators kills more than 70 people every year.
• Haier America Trading agrees to $850,000 civil penalty for failure to report defective blenders. The Consumer Product Safety Commission announced that Haier America Trading LLC of New York, N.Y., has agreed to pay a civil penalty of $850,000. The settlement agreement has been provisionally accepted by the commission. The settlement resolves s that Haier America failed to report immediately to the comission a defect involving its blenders that resulted in nearly 60 incidents and an injury to a consumer's hand. The nut on the blender that holds the blade assembly can dislodge during use, allowing the blade assembly pieces to break apart, and/or crack the blender's glass jar, posing a laceration hazard to consumers.
• Big Lots recalls Wilson & Fisher Garden Swings due to fall hazard. The wooden swing's seat can break while in use, posing a fall hazard to the consumer.