September 24, 2012
Shred Day: Oct. 16 on the Manhattan and Salina campuses
K-State is planning its third annual Shred Day on Oct. 16 for university paper records:
- 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. on the Manhattan campus at Dole Hall and east of the K-State Student Union on Mid-Campus Drive
- 10 a.m. to noon on the Salina campus in the loading area between the east and west wings of the Technology Center
Departments will be asked to place paper documents with personal identity information — Social Security numbers, birth dates, credit card numbers, etc. — in designated bags to be delivered to one of two trucks located on campus.
Departments that cannot bring paper documents to designated areas can contact iTAC, 785-532-4918, to schedule a time and location for pickup. For security reasons, do not leave collection bags or materials for shredding unattended in the hallways. Departmental contacts will be asked to sign an authorization document giving permission to Document Resources Inc. to accept, destroy and recycle materials.
Documents to shred include:
- Scantron forms
- Greenbar grade sheets
- Rosters printed from K-State Online, iSIS, SIS, etc.
- Student papers with personal identity information and grades
- Data with credit card information
- Personnel files
- Other sensitive papers with identity or financial information
Before destroying any documents, departments should review the Retention of Records policy. The length of time to retain specific documents is available from the records retention and disposition schedule. For additional clarification about the schedule contact Cliff Hight, university archivist, at 785-532-3420 or firstname.lastname@example.org