June 20, 2012
Biosafety and biocontainment training for BSL-3 laboratory workers taking place at K-State's Biosecurity Research Institute
The National Biosafety and Biocontainment Training Program and Kansas State University Biosecurity Research Institute are offering a five-day series of courses in biosafety and biocontainment for BSL-3 laboratory workers. These courses are designed for biosafety professionals, researchers and laboratorians to enhance individual knowledge and meet the scientific, regulatory, biocontainment, biosafety and engineering challenges associated with working in a biocontainment facility. Topics include:
- Introduction to microbiology essentials
- Principles of biosafety and biocontainment
- The biological risk assessment process
- Laboratory sterilization and disinfection
- Emergency planning and response
- Laboratory regulations, standards and guidelines
- Biocontainment laboratory security
- Introduction to animal biocontainment
- Packaging and Shipping Division 6.2 Hazardous Materials
- Hands-on sessions using laboratory equipment
Successful completion of the courses is a prerequisite for completion of a basic level certificate in biosafety and biocontainment, and for participation in advanced and comprehensive level certificate programs.
National Biosafety and Biocontainment Training Program is authorized by IACET to offer 4.0 continuing education units. To receive these units, participants are required to score a minimum of 70 percent on each post-course knowledge assessment. The course also offers certified industrial hygienists the opportunity to earn certification maintenance points.
We request registration by Aug. 27 after which participants will be admitted if space is available. See registration form, schedule, instructor and curriculum information at www.nbbtp.org
- Course tuition is $1,200, or $240/day.
- Course schedule: Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.- 5 p.m
- A block of rooms has been reserved at Holiday Inn At The Campus
1641 Anderson Ave., Manhattan KS 66502
Phone: 785-539-7531, FAX: 785-539-3909
Rooms for Sunday through Thursday nights, Sept. 9-13, are available at a rate of $99.95 plus tax; for Sept 14-15 the rate is $179.95. An optional tailgate and football game, Kansas State vs North Texas, is in the planning stages and more information will be available soon.
- Transportation, lodging, other meals and incidental expenses are the responsibility of individual participants. Registrants will receive a confirmation including directions and information on transportation.