June 8, 2012
Twenty Kansas teachers to be immersed in One Health at K-State Olathe
Kansas State University Olathe, in partnership with One Health Kansas, is offering a hands-on professional development in-service program on the awareness and understanding of the interconnections among human, animal and environmental health, June 11-14, at the Olathe campus.
Twenty Kansas high school teachers in science, including biology, chemistry, life science and environmental science, and career and technical education – including agriculture science, health science, biochemistry and biomedical pathways – will be in attendance.
The in-service program will be led by experts from industry and government as well as Kansas State University research faculty and staff, including:
* Alok Bhandari, founding director, Urban Water Institute, College of Engineering
* Stephen Higgs, research director, Biosecurity Research Institute
* Jerry Jaax, associate vice president for research and compliance
* Nancy Jaax, special projects officer
* Justin Kastner, associate professor of food safety and security, College of Veterinary Medicine
* Joan Leavens, integration/outreach leader, One Health Kansas
* Beth Montelone, program director, One Health Kansas
* Teresa Ortega, research associate, Division of Biology
* Jacqueline Spears, director, Center for Science Education
* From K-State Olathe: Dan Richardson, CEO; Micheal Strohschein, K-12 director; Bryan Severns, food programs/services manager; and Dana Reinert, program development/grants
Additionally, the in-service program includes on-site visits to the CEVA Biomune swine research and development lab, the Johnson County Blue River Wastewater Plant, the Blue Valley Wilderness Science Center, Olathe North rain garden and the Kansas City Zoo.
Program participants will each receive a kit containing materials to duplicate the One Health experience in their classrooms as well as an $800 Kansas teacher stipend and one hour of graduate credit from Kansas State University.
For more information about the teacher in-service, contact Strohschein, director of K-12 Science Education Partnerships at K-State Olathe, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 913-307-7342.