December 23, 2016
Total Rewards and Fair Labor Standards Act update
The Total Rewards process continues as we head into the holiday break. There are a couple of key dates coming in January that will help us move forward. On Jan. 10, Gov. Brownback will make his state of the state address, which should provide some guidance on state general fund budgets. The president's cabinet will meet on Jan. 11 to review updated recommendations for Total Rewards.
Human Capital Services has analyzed feedback received prior to the Nov. 21 deadline regarding the information posted online. A tremendous amount of work has gone into this effort:
- All told, 5,714 total comments were processed as part of the initial phase. They were almost equally split between employees and supervisors.
- An additional 749 comments were processed since the Nov. 21 deadline.
- 487 job descriptions were created and posted online.
- 795 positions were reviewed for FLSA status.
- 122 proposed compensation structure comments were processed, including a much deeper dive into key "hard to fill" areas and other assumptions about our labor market.
The next stage is to present the revised structure and budget implications to the president's cabinet. We anticipate sharing the information more broadly with governance groups and employees once feedback has been received. This process has taken longer than we wished and is hampered by an uncertain budget scenario. In the end, we remain committed to implementing a fair and equitable total rewards system for our employees.
We appreciate your patience and look forward to a productive new year.
Vice president for communications and marketing
Acting vice president for human capital services