September 27, 2011
Free Shred Day for disposal of sensitive documents Oct. 18
K-State is planning its second University Shred Day for university paper records:
- 10 a.m.- 2 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 18, on the Manhattan campus
- 10 a.m.-noon Tuesday, Oct. 18, on the Salina campus
Departments will be asked to place paper documents with personal identity information - Social Security numbers, birth dates, credit card numbers, etc. - in designated bags to be delivered to one of two trucks located on campus.
Departments that cannot bring paper documents to designated areas may contact the Information Technology Assistance Center, iTAC, at 785-532-4918 to schedule a time and location for pick-up. For security reasons, do not leave collection bags or materials for shredding unattended in the hallways.
This service is organized by Information Technology Services in conjunction with Document Resources Inc. More details will be posted before the event.
Documents to shred include:
- Scantron forms
- Greenbar grade sheets
- Rosters printed from K-State Online, iSIS, SIS, etc.
- Student papers with personal identity information and grades
- Data with credit card information
- Personnel files
- Other sensitive papers with identity or financial information
Before destroying any documents, departments should review the Retention of Records policy. For more information about the length of time to retain specific documents, review the Records Retention and Disposition Schedule. Note these excerpts from that schedule:
- FACULTY GRADE BOOKS: Documents used by faculty to record class participation, attendance, homework, grades, test grades, and other items concerning students in classes (10/D = Retain 10 years and destroy)
- FACULTY GRADE REPORTS – PAPER: Reports prepared by faculty to report the grades students received in each class (2/D = Retain two years and destroy)
If you are not certain about the Records Retention and Disposition Schedule, contact Cliff Hight, university archivist, at 785-532-3420 or email@example.com.