June 1, 2011
IT summer cleanup, cleanout tips
By K-State IT editor
- Clean your computer area, computer keyboard and mouse surfaces.
- Clean out your paper files.
a. Recycle non-security paper through K-State Recycling.
b. For security-related papers, see Sanitizing Paper Storage Media.
- Dispose of hard drives or tapes securely by call the Recycling Center at 785-532-6446 to schedule pick-up, or arrange a time to deliver them to the Recycling Center. (See New device simplifies secure disposal of computer hard drives, tapes and also Sanitizing Removable Storage Media.)
- Recycle your K-State Online course for next semester. See Reuse your course for fall semester.
- Clean up webpages you maintain. Use w3schools.com's free Web Page Validation tool to validate webpage HTML, CSS, XML, etc. for broken links, correct code, and more.
- Delete digital files you no longer need. Make sure you don't have files with security-related data on your computers.
- Back up digital files you want to keep, on external hard drives and/or free online storage spaces like Dropbox and the Zimbra Briefcase. See basic IT security practices for backing up files (#10). Also see recent IT articles on the free Dropbox tool and free file storage in the “Briefcase” in K-State Zimbra webmail.