June 16, 2014
National Safety Month, week 3: Be aware of your surroundings
Thank you for your continued dedication to safety. This week, the National Safety Council is providing helpful information to share and use during Be Aware of Your Surroundings week.
Daily tips to share
- June 16: Only operate equipment that you are properly trained to use, and never obstruct your vision by overloading.
- June 17: Open one filing cabinet drawer at a time to prevent it from tipping over, and don't forget to close the drawers when you're done.
- June 18: Wear safety glasses when operating a tool or machine that may have flying particles.
- June 19: Arrange your furniture at home so there is always enough room for people to pass through.
- June 20: Secure items that are stored at a height, and always store heavy objects close to the floor.
Occupational Safety and Health Administration construction eTool
Getting struck by objects is one of the leading causes of construction-related deaths. Injuries are caused mostly from vehicles, falling/flying objects and constructing masonry walls. To learn prevention tips, check out the Occupational Safety and Health Administration eTool.
Committees lead to improved safety culture
Research has shown that organizations with a higher percentage of its workforce on safety committees have lower injury and illness rates. Learn how to get your upper management involved and what constitutes an effective safety committee in this new article from Safety+Health magazine. Get involved with your college or department environmental health and safety committee. Read more about what K-State's Environmental Health and Safety Committees are all about.
Interact with us all month long
Interested in learning best practices on risk reduction? Join the National Safety Council Twitter chat at noon June 17 by using #NSM14.
The Campbell Institute and leading environmental health and safety organizations will offer tips on how you can improve the safety at your company.
Share this Facebook post
"Pay attention! Week 3 of #NSM14 focuses on being aware of your surroundings. Share these tips to help give your friends a heads up. http://ow.ly/vyQ56"
Tweet this out
"Are you aware of your surroundings? Sign up for National Safety Month to receive free resources: http://ow.ly/vyQ56 #NSM14"
Poster: Be aware of your surroundings
Be aware of your surroundings hazard checklist
5-minute safety talk: Be aware of your surroundings
Article: "Recognizing Hidden Dangers: 25 Steps to a Safer Office"
Fact sheet: Be aware of your surroundings