May 16, 2011
Highlights from the May 10, 2011 Faculty Senate meeting
Here are the highlights from the May 10, 2011 Faculty Senate meeting. Meeting minutes will be available on the website as they are approved by faculty senate.
Faculty Senate minutes for the April 12, 2011 meeting have been posted to our website.
May 10, 2011:
- New Faculty Senator Orientation took place at 2:00 pm and a recognition ceremony of senators whose terms were ending was at 3:00 pm. Special recognition was given to Faculty Senate Leadership Council for their personal commitment and dedication during the year. Also, President Elect Vontz offered outstanding commendation to President Betsy Cauble for her work this year. Senators also gave her a standing ovation.
Standing committee and Student Senate reports: Each committee handled normal business and highlighted a few accomplishments during the year.
- Academic Affairs: Various course and curriculum changes were approved, including a new concurrent BS/MS program in the College of Human Ecology, department of Hospitality Management and Dietetics and a name changes to one of their secondary majors in Gerontology.
- 2010-2011 Accomplishments: K-State 8 Assessment plan was finalized; Honorary Degree Procedures were approved.
- Faculty Affairs:
- 2010-2011 Accomplishments: All main sections of the University Handbook have been reviewed and edited and will be presented in the fall to Faculty Senate, Appendix G in the handbook has also been worked on; the anti-bullying language is being worked on in a collaborative effort between several units; a proposal addressing clinical faculty has been worked on; contingent faculty criteria is being addressed.
- FSCOT: Through review of sites like MyRibit.com FSCOT has crafted some language for possible use in course syllabus language. This language will be reviewed by Academic Affairs and conversation will take place with students as well.
- 2010-2011 Accomplishments: The E-Portfolio Implementation task force is continuing its work; several policies were reviewed and approved for the Information Resource Management Council through the year; the committee has met regularly with the Vice Provost of Information Technology Services, Ken Stafford.
- FSCOUP: A short video with highlights of structures in other top 50 institutions was shown to senators. FCOUP highlighted to administration an item they felt were missing from the faculty and staff theme committee notes, and that was a sense of community. They also identified a couple points they felt to be priorities from the logic models that would give aid when the strategic plan is being crafted.
- 2010-2011 Accomplishments: Participated fully in the K-State 2025 planning and theme committees; held discussions regarding items for future work, including facilities planning; the committee has met regularly with the Vice President for Communications and Marketing and has given input into designs for the university logos, etc.
- Student Senate: Senator Reynolds introduced new members of Student Senate who will participate on Faculty Senate during the upcoming year: Nate Spriggs, Kate Bormann, and Natalie Rauth. He also commended Faculty Senate for their continued efforts in shared governance.
- President Cauble introduced Priscilla Roddy who gave a presentation to Faculty Senate regarding the work of the Unclassified Professionals Task Force. (See summary from Priscilla Roddy also in K-State Today).
- Elections for Secretary and President Elect of Faculty Senate were conducted. Loleta Sump was elected as continuing Secretary and James Bloodgood was elected as President Elect of Faculty Senate.
- At the end of May, the Faculty Senate Executive Committee will be making various appointments and recommendations for Faculty Senate and Presidential committees.
Faculty Senate President
Head, Dept. of Sociology, Anthropology, and Social Work
204 Waters Hall
Manhattan, KS 66506-4003