April 24, 2014
K-State EcoReps award ceremony today
The sustainability office is hosting a ceremony today at 11:30 a.m. at Hoffman Lounge in Justin Hall to celebrate K-State's sustainability efforts and deliver this year's EcoReps awards. Provost April Mason will recognize each of this year's awardees:
- Impact Award: K-State Biodiesel Initiative
- Impact Honorable Mention: Department of Civil Engineering Green Team
- Innovation Award: Garbage to Gourmet Project
- Innovation Honorable Mention: Solar-Powered Cart — The Student Access Center
- Community Spirit Award: Ford Hall Environmental Reps
- Community Spirit Honorable Mention: Tree Campus USA Initiative — Department of Horticulture, Forestry and Recreation Resources
In addition, the celebration will feature updates on projects funded through the Green Action Fund this year. The fund received $40,000 from the Student Governing Association's student-centered tuition enhancement fund to allocate to projects that improve K-State's sustainability performance while benefiting students. Six projects were funded this year through the Green Action Fund:
- Solar-Powered Cart by the Student Access Center
- Recreation Center: Bike Repair Stations and Water Bottle Refill Stations
- Campus Creek Improvement Study
- The Meadow: Educational Signage and Second-Year Plantings
- Seaton Hall Green Roof: Cisterns for Water Catchment and Irrigation
- EcoFest: Festival for Students, April 25-26
The celebration will conclude with recognition of the planning committee for the K-State 2025 Sustainability Plan. The plan has been published on the K-State 2025 website for public review and comments until May 10. Everyone is encouraged to visit the website to review the plan and submit comments and recommendations for incorporation into a final draft.
Please join us in celebrating this year's progress in sustainability at K-State.
And visit sustainability.k-state.edu to check out EcoFest and the other activities for Earth Week this week!