March 5, 2014
Student life exhibit registration for Open House
Kansas State University will present its 35th annual All-University Open House on Saturday, April 5. To increase campus involvement, the Student Life Exhibits Committee is coordinating group displays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the K-State Student Union. We encourage you to participate in these activities by providing a display booth. This years theme is “Where your story meets ours.”
Open House is one of K-State’s largest attractions of the year. It is an opportunity for us to inform the public about the university, maintain contact with alumni and recruit new students. If you are interested in this event, please fill out the Student Life Exhibit Registration 2014 form.
The deadline to register is Friday, March 21. It is imperative that you complete your reservation as soon as possible. Space is limited, and we will prioritize reservations in the order they are received. If you are a student organization or department in the College of Arts and Sciences, you should not complete this form. You will be sent a letter/form from the College of Arts and Sciences regarding your participation in Open House.
As incentive to create unique and appealing displays, the exhibits will once again be judged. The winner will receive a traveling plaque that will be given to the new winner every year. Displays will be judged by members of the Parents and Family Association based on the following criteria:
- Visitor involvement, creativity and utilization of space.
- The objectives of Open House are communicated.
- Your group is present the entire day.
- The display entices spectators to your area and group members interact with the public.
- Information is geared toward people who do not know anything about your organization.
While we encourage everyone to use innovative and interactive displays, please keep the following in mind:
- The colleges have a table reserved for them. They do not need to fill out the attached form unless they have a special request. All student organizations and Greek organizations will receive a 3 x 3 ft. table or share a 6- or 8-foot. table as space allows. Please plan your displays accordingly.
- We must know if your group will be using electrical equipment — computers, VCRs, DVD players, etc. Building engineers will ensure that electricity is distributed according to your needs. The actual equipment is your responsibility to rent or borrow.
- Extension cords and multiplugs will be available on Saturday morning, April 5, at the Open House Information Table, location of table to be announced at a later date. Please note the following: cords will be distributed on a first-come, first-serve basis.They will be checked out to one member of your organization and must be returned and checked in at the end of the day. A bill for missing cords will be sent to the member responsible.
- Signs, posters, or banners can be hung from the ceiling only if a Union staff member assists you. No tape or pins are allowed on the wallpapered walls of the Union. Masking tape may be used on Union walls that are rock; however, the tape generally does not stick well.
- Sign holders will be available at the Union at 7 a.m. Saturday morning, April 5. However, the number is limited, and reservations for these items are not taken. Please plan another way to hang your signs in the event all of them are gone. An easel is an easy way to avoid the hassle.
- When setting up displays, keep in mind that traffic flow is always tight. We will have visitors with disabilities as well as parents with baby strollers moving through the Union. Please try to make pathways as accommodating as possible.
- Your organization may set up its display from 6-10 p.m. Friday evening, April 4, as well as from 7-9 a.m. Saturday morning, April 5. All displays must be set up by 9 a.m. and should remain in place until 3 p.m. Please make arrangements for a member of your organization to be at your display at all times during open house. Failure to do so may result in the loss of Union space to your organization at next year’s open house.
- Tables not occupied by 9 a.m. will be reassigned.
- If your group makes a table reservation but at some point decides not to participate, please notify me ASAP.
Additionally, we would love to have members of your organization volunteer at open house. volunteers are needed to help with the universitywide offerings and at the college and departmental level. Volunteers have the chance to be part of one of the university’s largest annual events and are a great help to all of your fellow Wildcats. Please encourage the members of your organization to attend open house and learn more about what K-State has to offer. It also is a great time to spend with friends and family.
If any members of your organization are interested in volunteering, please contact Kyle Pelton, open house co-chair, email@example.com.