February 14, 2014
Coffman Leadership Institute call for campus nominations
Kansas State University presents the 2014 James R. Coffman Leadership Institute Aug. 6-8 at Rock Springs 4-H Center's Leadership Lodge.
The two-and-a-half-day institute will offer faculty and unclassified staff a unique opportunity to refresh and enhance their leadership skills and knowledge. The Coffman Institute serves as a launching point for continuous leadership development, professional networking and empowerment of Kansas State University professionals.
Purpose of the institute:
- Provide opportunity for participants to refresh and develop their leadership skills in a safe yet challenging learning environment.
- Provide an opportunity for networking and interdisciplinary cooperation for faculty and staff.
- Infuse Kansas State University with more empowered faculty and staff leaders.
Building relationships: Institute participants will have the opportunity to explore and initiate collaborative projects and discuss leadership issues. They also will have the chance to strengthen current relationships and build new ones with other professionals at Kansas State University.
Recognizing your leadership style: The institute is based on the philosophy that every individual can be a successful leader. This success depends on learning leadership skills and recognition of one’s leadership style. Further refining of one's leadership style, understanding it's associated strengths and challenges and its impact on decision-making, conflict resolution and problem-solving style will be a focus of the institute.
Institute format: The institute is an in-residence experience. Learning activities are arranged to maximize participant learning and engage all learning styles. Topics may include: inclusive leadership, conflict resolution, change management, leadership style assessment, shared leadership, team building. The institute includes workshops, panel discussions, small and large group activities, small group discussions, multimedia presentations, case studies and self assessments.
What to expect: Participants will engage in a focused and in-depth adult learning leadership development experience. They will be offered knowledge and skill-based learning modules to engage them cognitively and behaviorally. Attendees will interact with other professionals who want to make a difference at Kansas State University. Conference activities will take place in a comfortable air-conditioned living/learning facility at Rock Springs Leadership Lodge. Participants will share spacious sleeping accommodations with individual beds and private baths.
Participate in the 2014 James R. Coffman Leadership Institute. Here's what our alumni say:
“My expectations were pretty high, and you managed to surpass them.”
“Both the community building and leadership goals were definitely met.”
“Very effective…well organized, meaningful sessions and activities.”
“I found it inspiring on many levels.”
How to apply:
Contact your dean, director or department head by Monday, March 3, if you are interested in participating. Their nomination will serve as your application.
The nomination deadline is Friday, March 14. Deans, directors, and department heads may submit email nominations to the School of Leadership Studies, Kristin Marsh at email@example.com. Email should include name, title, department and email address of the individuals you wish to nominate.
Applicants should meet the following criteria:
- Interested participant has submitted his or her name to the dean, director or department head's office for nomination to this institute.
- Nominee is available to attend the institute in its entirety including overnight stays.
- Nominee should be willing and able to share their learning with department and colleagues.
- Nominee is in good standing with the department.
- You may re-nominate individuals who did not receive an invitation to participate in previous James R. Coffman Leadership Institutes.
- Please do not nominate individuals who have previously attended a James R. Coffman Leadership Institute.