January 27, 2014
K-State Student Union renovation update
Workshop Architects, the firm selected to create the K-State Student Union Renovation architectural program, has been working since September 2013 to gather information, feedback and ideas from the K-State community, as well as conduct several vision tours of other college unions.
Through focus groups, interviews and surveys, data was collected and will be presented to the Union Renovation Committee on Jan. 30. These findings were used to create the initial renovation floor plans and concepts of the project.
Goals, design objectives and key strategies have been identified and a few are listed below.
- Repurpose and reinvigorate the Union to improve the overall economic performance of the building.
- Enhance student life and strengthen the K-State family.
- Present a first impression that tells the K-State story.
- Maximize natural daylight, as well as views into and out of the building.
- Create center for student involvement.
- Update conference and event spaces.
The architects will conduct an open meeting at 1 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 30, in the Union’s Big 12 Room for all who are interested.
For additional information, contact Union Director Bill Smriga at email@example.com or by phone at 785-532-6591.