January 22, 2014
Radiation safety training begins tomorrow
Environmental health and safety is offering annual radiation safety training, which is required for all who work in laboratories that contain radioactive materials. This includes those handling and not handling radioactive sources. Topics covered include radiation basics, hazards, transportation and safety precautions, as well as policies and procedures unique to the Kansas State University radiation safety program.
This is mandatory training for all employees who are working in areas that contain radioactive materials.
Radiation Safety Training-Unsealed, WTD164, focuses on internal and external hazards and is intended for those working around unsealed radioactive sources (liquids, powders, and gases). Sessions will be offered:
- Session 2, Wednesday, Jan. 29, 9:30-11:30 a.m.
- Session 3, Thursday, Jan. 30, 2:30-4:30 p.m.
- Session 4, Wednesday, Feb. 5, 9:30-11:30 a.m.
- Session 5, Tuesday, Feb. 11, 9:30-11:30 a.m.
- Session 6, Wednesday, Feb. 19, 9:30-11:30 a.m.
- Session 7, Thursday, March 6, 2:30-4:30 p.m.
- Session 8, Wednesday, March 12, 9:30-11:30 a.m.
- Session 9, Wednesday, March 26, 2:30-4:30 p.m.
Radiation Safety Training-Sealed, WTD165, focuses on external hazards and is intended for those working around sealed radioactive sources — soil moisture probes and sources enclosed in laboratory equipment — as well as those working in radiation areas.
- Session 1, Thursday, Jan. 23, 9:30-11:30 a.m.
- Session 2, Wednesday, January 29, 2:30-4:30 p.m.
- Session 3, Thursday, Feb. 6, 9:30-11:30 a.m.
- Session 4, Wednesday, Feb. 12, 2:30-4:30 p.m.
- Session 5, Wednesday, March 5, 2:30-4:30 p.m.
- Session 6, Tuesday, March 25, 2:30-4:30 p.m.
Training is in Room 011, 108 Edwards Hall, and is for groups of more than five people, as requested). Contact environmental health and safety at 785-532-5856 or firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Register for training through HRIS Self_Enrollment or email email@example.com and include your name, department, employee ID number, course title,number, WTD164 or WTD165, and date desired. It is the employee's responsibility to obtain the necessary departmental approvals prior to enrolling.