January 17, 2014
Governor recommends restoration of funds to state universities
Gov. Sam Brownback delivered his State of the State Address and Fiscal Year 2015 budget recommendations to a joint session of the Kansas House of Representatives and Senate on Wednesday, Jan. 15.
Gov. Brownback recommended for Kansas State University these items:
- Restore one-half funding in fiscal year 2014 for the salary cap on the university imposed by the 2013 Kansas Legislature. This is a recommended restoration of $949,829 for Kansas State, and $1,500,562 for K-State Research and Extension.
- Restore all funding in fiscal year 2015 for the salary cap on the university imposed by the 2013 Kansas Legislature. This is a recommended restoration of $ 1,196.484 for Kansas State, and $1,419,764 for K-State Research and Extension.
- Provide $1.5 million for the College of Architecture, Planning & Design to begin the renovation and expansion of Seaton Hall, with $5 million to continue the funding in FY 2016 and beyond.
- Provide a 1.5 percent increase for classified salary. State universities are required to self-fund the increase.
- Continue $10.5 million to address repair, rehabilitation and maintenance needs for campus facilities.
- Continue $5 million for animal health initiatives on the campus.
- Continue $5 million for the College of Veterinary Medicine.
- Continue $5 million for launching NBAF-related research at Kansas State.
If you are interested in the time line of the Kansas 2014 Legislature you can find a PDF online.