November 22, 2013
Expansion at Manhattan Regional Airport calls for temporary facilities and patience
Phase One of the $17 million airport terminal expansion is underway at MHK and travelers will immediately see the changes. To ensure the airport remains fully operational during construction, a temporary ticketing area has been built.
Passengers with checked baggage, or who need to check in with American Airlines or Allegiant Air for boarding passes will do so at the temporary facility located at the west end of the building. Ticketed passengers will then enter the existing building through a covered walkway that will lead them to the security checkpoint and gates.
Passengers who have already printed their boarding passes prior to arriving at the airport can go directly to the checkpoint. Construction will also create changes to the parking lot facility. The short-term parking lot will become the new drop-off/pick-up curb and handicap parking only. During construction there will be no distinction between long- or short-term parking.
The two-week time restriction has also been removed; however, people are reminded that the parking lot is for airport customers only.
- Refer to the American Airline and Allegiant Air websites for specific flight information.
- Refer to the Transportation Security Administration website for security screening questions.
- Don't wait for the last minute to check-in for your flight. Airline websites give minimum times for check-in. Consider checking in and printing your boarding pass prior to arriving at the airport. International travel requires longer check-in times.
- Parking will fill up fast. Consider being dropped off at the airport instead of driving.
- MHK is now on Skyway Drive. Exit K-18 at the 56th Avenue Exit or take Skyway Drive from the Scenic Drive roundabout.
- The airport’s website will provide additional information about services and construction impact as needed.