October 25, 2013
Several products recalled for safety reasons
News from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, or CPSC. Recalls from the weeks ending Sept. 30 are as follows:
- Crosman recalls air pistols because of explosion hazard. The air pistols can explode at high temperatures, propelling the pistol’s broken plastic pieces into the air, and posing a risk of serious eye and other injuries to users. Photos of the pistols are available at http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2013/Crosman-Recalls-Air-Pistols/.
- Eco-Novelty recalls jumbo size and jumbo multipurpose Cosmo Beads toys because of serious ingestion hazard. The hard and colorful toy can be easily mistaken for candy by a child. When the bead is ingested, it expands and can cause intestinal obstructions inside a child’s body, resulting in severe discomfort, vomiting, dehydration and could be life threatening. The toys need surgery to be removed from the body. Similar toys have not shown up on X-rays. Photos of the toys are available at http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2013/Eco-Novelty-Recalls-Jumbo-Size-and-Jumbo-Multipurpose-Cosmo-Beads-Toys/.
- Be Amazing! Toys recalls Monster Science Growing Spiders because of serious ingestion hazard. The soft and colorful product can be mistaken by a child for candy. When the marble-sized toy is ingested, it can expand inside a child’s body and cause intestinal obstructions, resulting in severe discomfort, vomiting, dehydration and could be life threatening. The toys do not show up on an X-ray and need surgery to be removed from the body. Photos of the toy are available at http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2013/Be-Amazing-Toys-Recalls-Monster-Science-Growing-Spiders/.
- Gree recalls 12 brands of dehumidifiers because of serious fire and burn hazards as well as more than $2 million in reported property damage. The dehumidifiers can overheat, smoke and catch fire, posing fire and burn hazards to consumers. Photos of the dehumidifiers are available at http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2013/Gree-Recalls-12-Brands-of-Dehumidifiers/.
- Ceiling-Mounted Light Fixtures recalled by Dolan Designs because of fire and shock hazards. The fixture's socket wire insulation can degrade and lead to charged wires becoming exposed, causing electricity to pass to the metal canopy of the fixture. This poses a fire and electric shock hazard to consumers. Photos are available at http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2013/Ceiling-Mounted-Light-Fixtures-Recalled-by-Dolan-Designs/.
- The Children’s Place recalls children’s one-piece footed pajamas because of violation of the federal flammability standard. The footed pajamas fail to meet the federal flammability standard for children’s sleepwear, posing a burn hazard to children. The garments are being recalled because they do not meet the tight-fitting sizing requirements. Photos are available at http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2013/The-Childrens-Place-Recalls-Footed-Pajamas/.
- Waterlogic recalls water cooling, heating systems because of fire hazards. The hot water tank can stop functioning and cause the machine to overheat, posing a fire hazard. Photos are available at http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2013/Waterlogic-Recalls-Water-Cooling-Heating-Systems/.
- Frigidaire recalls professional blenders because of a laceration hazard. The blender’s blade shaft assembly can break during use, posing a laceration hazard to consumers. Photos of the blend are available at http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2013/Frigidaire-Recalls-Professional-Blenders/.
- Shimano American recalls disc brake calipers because of a collision hazard.The calipers on the disc brakes can fail, posing a collision hazard. Photos of the calipers are available at http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2013/Shimano-American-Recalls-Disc-Brake-Calipers/.
- BBQ ant votive candle holders sold at Cracker Barrel Old Country Store recalled because of fire hazard; made by Mercuries Asia. The decorative ant’s arms, used to hold up the votive cup, can break. If this happens, a lit candle can tip over or fall out, posing fire and burn hazards. Photos of the votive candle holders are available at http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2013/Votive-Candle-Holders-Sold-at-Cracker-Barrel-Old-Country-Store-Recalled/.
- Toys R Us recalls Journey Girl Travel Trunks because of laceration hazard. The blue metal handle on the trunk can be sharp, presenting a laceration hazard to the user. Photos are available at http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2013/Toys-R-Us-Recalls-Journey-Girl-Travel-Trunks/.