Health and Safety

Whether you are advising a study abroad student or leading a faculty-led program, we strongly encourage you to review the below links to become more familiar with health and safety topics prior to your student's or your program abroad. 

International Health Insurance

It is highly recommended that faculty or staff traveling abroad on KSU business obtain international health insurance, since many health insurance plans (including most of those offered by the State of Kansas) do not cover important costs that could be incurred while traveling abroad.  These include Emergency Medical Evacuation, Repatriation of Remains, a Family Assistance Benefit, a Bereavement Reunion Benefit, a Security Evacuation Benefit, and Worldwide Travel Assistance.

The Study Abroad Office is able to offer international health insurance coverage to faculty and staff (and their family members) traveling on KSU business.  This provider has recently changed to Frontier MEDEX. To view the summary of benefits, click here.

Faculty and staff interested in purchasing this international health insurance should complete the Frontier MEDEX Enrollment Form and submit it directly to Frontier MEDEX.  The form can be mailed to the address at the bottom of the form, or scanned and emailed to  You should receive a confirmation email from Frontier MEDEX, with your insurance ID card within 48 hours.  If you do not receive it for any reason, please contact the KSU Study Abroad Office.

The cost of coverage for KSU faculty, staff and students is $7.95 per week (any 7 day period), and is payable directly to Frontier MEDEX.  Payment can be made via the Frontier MEDEX Enrollment Form or by calling Insurance Services at Frontier MEDEX at 1-800-583-2595.  Payment amounts for spouses and children can be found on the Enrollment Form.

To obtain additional valuable information about the policy, or health and safety in your destination of travel, faculty and staff are encouraged to create a Frontier MEDEX Member Center account and explore their resources online.

A generic KSU insurance card can be found here.  Upon completion of enrollment and payment for coverage, Frontier MEDEX will email a personalized card to the insured.

Should you have any further questions about international health insurance coverage available to Kansas State University employees, please contact or call 785-532-5990.

NOTE: Kansas State University students traveling abroad on official KSU business, including attendance at conferences, work/intern abroad programs, volunteer abroad programs or study abroad programs should follow a different process.  Please refer any students to the Study Abroad Office in 304 Fairchild Hall ( or 785-532-5990) for more information.