1. K-State home
  2. »Office of Student Life
  3. »campussafety
  4. »FAQs

Office of Student Life

Office of Student Life
Kansas State University
201 Holton Hall
1101 Mid Campus Dr North
Manhattan, KS 66506

785-532-5307 fax

Frequently Asked Questions

Who can students contact about academic problems?

  • The dean of their college.
    Colleges & Academic Directory 
  • Academic Assistance Center in 101 Holton Hall, 785-532-6492
  • The Office of Student Life in 201 Holton Hall, 785-532-6432.

Is counseling available for students affected by a tragic event?

Yes. Counseling Services, 232 English/Counseling Services Building, 785-532-6927, provides consultation and stress debriefing for individual students and groups. Emergency situations may call for on-site availability and after-hours contact.

Other services
  • Confidential counseling is available at Counseling Services. Student fees subsidize counseling services so that the first four counseling sessions are free, and any sessions after that are available at a very reasonable fee.
  • Individual and family counseling is available at the K-State Family Center, 785-532-6984, in the Campus Creek Complex.
  • The Lifeline Employee Assistance Program provides support to faculty and staff. Call 1-800-284-7575.
Information sheets

Here are some helpfulinformation sheets that offer information about dealing with trauma:

How to deal with the aftermath of emotional trauma

How faculty and staff can recognize students in distress

How do I find programs in anger management or conflict mediation?

Options differ depending on situations. For K-State students, consultation at the campus' Counseling Services can help determine the most appropriate resources to help. When indicated, individual programs dealing with anger or conflict may be set up through K-State's Counseling Services or through referral to certain community services, including Pawnee Mental Health.

For faculty and staff, consultation with the Affirmative Action office or the K-State Human Resources department can help determine options for mediation or conflict resolution.

What should I do if I see unusual, threatening, or dangerous behavior?

Safety concerns should always be reported. Here are some offices to contact:

• Contact the K-State police at 785-532-6412, or 911 in the case of an emergency.

• If you have concerns about a K-State student, or if you are a student who wants to report suspicious or threatening behavior, the Office of Student Life, 785-532-6432.

• K-State has more than 400 SafeZone allies—faculty, staff, and students—who are trained to help refer and find resources for any individual who has concerns about threats, violence, hateful acts, harassment, or discrimination, or who needs information about depression, suicide, assault, or relational difficulties. SafeZone allies will connect students with various campus and community offices to deal with emergencies or ongoing problems. Look for the SafeZone symbol in offices or check out the web page to find locations of SafeZone allies.

Can people identified as potentially dangerous due to their threatening behavior be removed from campus?

Policies are in place that help evaluate reported threats or acts of violence and that can remove a person from the campus community through established due process.

What if I don’t feel safe walking on campus?

Call Wildcat Walk. If you are uncomfortable walking on campus alone, dial 785-395-SAFE (785-395-7233), and an police or security escort will meet you and walk you to another on-campus destination or up to two blocks off campus.

If you drive to campus, you can arrange to be met in your parking lot and be escorted to the residence halls or another location. Call 785-395-SAFE (785-395-7233), or push one of the blue light emergency buttons found throughout the K-State campus.

This service is provided by the K-State Police Department and operates between dusk and dawn.

How are students notified when an act of violence occurs?

Many methods are used, and more are always being evaluated and considered: e-mail, notices on K-State's web site, K-State Alerts, and notices to radio and television news media. K-State Alerts text and voice messaging to cell phones is available here .

In case of emergency, K-State will set up a central communication point with a dedicated phone number.

How are parents and families notified when there is a crisis on campus?

Parents and families can go to the K-State homepage to view recent press releases related to crisis situations.

The K-State Parents and Family Association website can also provide information specifically designed for families and their concerns.

For student crises, the Office of Student Life website contains information for parents, including resources and helpful suggestions.

How do I report threats of stalking or relational or sexual violence?

Contact the campus police, 785-532-6412, or the Center for Advocacy, Response and Education, 785-532-6444.

What can I do to make K-State safer?

Get involved

Volunteer for SafeZone training

Participate in the Campaign for Nonviolence

Plan for your own safety

Briana Nelson Goff, interim assistant dean of K-State's College of Human Ecology and associate professor of family studies and human services, has researched traumatic events and how they affect individuals, families, and institutions. Although no preventive measure is foolproof to keep our campus safer, Goff suggests three steps institutions and individuals can take:

  • Pay attention to those around you. Research has shown that people are reluctant to get involved or do not feel equipped to help. Learn to recognize cries for help. Take them seriously. Note changes in behavior such as withdrawing from others, becoming increasingly angry, or being uncommonly absent from class or work.
  • Have a plan that includes whom to contact in an emergency, what personal phone calls to make, and how to be safe in a residence hall room, classroom, or car.
  • Take action. If you recognize a problem, tell someone. Contact the Office of Student Life, 785-532-6432, or the campus police, 785-532-6412.