Sir Cumference and the First Round Table by Cindy Neuschwander
Students will analyze characteristics of various 2 dimensional shapes and explore their properties and use various vocabulary terms to discuss geometric relationships.
Lesson Created by:
Jean Johnson, Fort Riley Middle School, Fort Riley, KS
- Sir Cumference and the First Round Table, by Cindy Neuschwander, illustrated by Wayne Geehan.
1. Launching the Lesson (engage):
- Introduce and read the story, Sir Cumference and the First Round Table.
2. Developing the Lesson:
- As each shape is presented, discuss the properties of each shape. Discuss how the perimeter, area, and angle size are affected with each new shape.
- Discussion should include, but not be limited to the following vocabulary:
- Area (of circle)
- Present various circumference, perimeter, and area problems for a variety of shapes.
- My students really enjoyed this book. It's light-hearted, humorous approach to various geometric vocabulary and shapes sparked their interest.