Sigma Delta Pi was established in 1919 as the "Sociedad del Prado" at the
University of California, Berkeley.
In 1921, with Mr. Heriberto M. Stein
as president of Alpha Chapter, the young society began to be extended to
other institutions of higher learning.
In 1925, when there were five chapters, and under the presidency of Mr.
Leavitt O. Wright and the support of the well-known Hispanists Elijah C.
Hills, S. Griswold Morley and Rudolph Schevill, it became a national
organization whose motto is "Spanías Didajé Proágomen" (Prosigamos bajo
la inspiracion de Espana/We Carry on Under the Inspiration of Spain).
Since then there has been a continuous and energetic campaign to establish
chapters in English-speaking Universities and colleges where advanced
Hispanic studies are offered and supported by the administrations.