This area is for prospective members to learn more about our organization. Specifically how to become a member, the frequently asked questions, and the member in training process.
What is Sigma Alpha Iota?
Sigma Alpha Iota is an International Music Fraternity. Founded in 1903, SAI and its members are proud of their strong heritage, supporting the art of music.
The Sigma Alpha Iota purpose is
- TO FORM chapters of women college students and alumnae who have a sincere interest in music.
- TO UPHOLD the highest standards of music.
- TO FURTHER the development of music in America and throughout the world.
- TO GIVE inspiration and encouragement to members.
- TO ORGANIZE the cultural life of Sigma Alpha Iota members as a contributing factor to their educational growth.
- TO SUPPORT the ideals and goals of the member's Alma Mater.
- TO ADHERE to the highest standards of citizenship in school, community and fraternity life.
The Mission of Sigma Alpha Iota International Music Fraternity is to encourage, nurture and support the art of music.
How do I become a member of Sigma Alpha Iota?
You must show a sincere interest in becoming a member by attending two recruitment events. The last formal recruitment event of the semester is required to become a member of the Kappa Upsilon chapter. The dates for these events are set at the beginning of each semester. Please contact our current Vice President Membership to know about our current dates.
What are the requirements for membership?
- You must be a full-time student in at least your second semester at Kansas State.
- You should have a GPA which is 2.5 or higher
- You must be enrolled in a music course or have taken at least one credit of music.
Why join Sigma Alpha Iota?
Sigma Alpha Iota is an organization which promotes interaction among those who share a commitment to music. Members of SAI are active in all areas of campus music and campus life, working closely with faculty, administration, campus and community groups, music professionals and patrons. In addition to personal encouragement and support, members may receive scholarships, loans and awards in many areas and at all levels of music-related study. Sigma Alpha Iota has long been recognized as a leader in the field of music and provides a lifetime of fraternity contact.
What would I do as a sister?
As a sister of the Kappa Upsilon Chapter you would be required to attend weekly meetings as well as pay national and chapter dues. Kappa Upsilon helps with many projects on the campus of Kansas State University as well as throughout the community. We also have many social events throughout the academic year!
What is Recruitment?
Each semester the Kappa Upsilon Chapter holds recruitment events at the beginning of the semester. These events are
The last event of the semester is a formal recruitment, meaning business casual attire. If you are want
If you have any questions and are wondering when our current events are for the semester please go to the Contact Us page and email the current Vice President Membership.
The Member-In-Training Process
- You attend weekly meetings with your training class to learn information about Sigma Alpha Iota
- You complete a recital with your fellow Members-in-Training (MITs)
- You attend other events to help us get to know you and for you to get to know us
- You take the National Membership Exam near the end of your training process
- You learn what it is to be an SAI prior to Initiation
Throughout the Member-in-Training Process
- Sigma Alpha Iota does not allow hazing of any kind. Hazing is anything that makes you physically or mentally uncomfortable or embarrassed. If you are concerned, you can speak to our Vice President for Membership or any other member, alumnae, or advisor
- You can leave the process at any time
- There will be no use or abuse of alcohol at any Sigma Alpha Iota event. This pertains not only for the semester during which you train, but to all fraternity events in the duration of your time at university.