PreAward Services was established in 1990 as a unit within the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs. PreAward Services (PAS) reports to the Vice President for Research,
through the Associate Vice President for Research and Technology Transfer.
PAS's mission is to provide a full range of assistance to faculty, staff and administrators in obtaining and administering funding from
non-University sources to support KSU's creative and scholarly activities. PAS is responsible for providing value added services for KSU
faculty in the form of budget/proposal development, review and University sign-off. In addition, PAS has the responsibility for contract
and grant review, negotiation and University acceptance, along with serving as liaison with the sponsoring entities.
PAS personnel may provide assistance in the following ways:
- Providing information about federal and non-federal sources of funding, insuring that subsequent applications or proposals for funding are developed in accordance with the funding agency criteria.
- Assisting with proposal preparation, including budget development, preparation of forms, editing, review (i.e. comparison with funding agency guidelines and requirements, compliance with University and Board of Regent policies and procedures, and State and Federal regulations).
- Providing copying and coordinating mailing/courier services.
- Preparation, and negotiation of grant and contract documents with funding agencies.
- Information gathering/problem solving with other campus units, such as purchasing, accounting, personnel, etc.
- Assistance with obtaining campus approvals.
- Serving as a resource for questions regarding all aspects of non-financial research administration.
- Serving as liaison to funding agencies for post-award administrative issues such as extensions of the project duration, rebudgeting, change in scope, and other project modifications.
- Preparation and negotiation of subcontracts for those projects containing this requirement.
- Maintaining a database of proposal submissions and awards; providing a wide variety and number of informational reports.