Brenda Lee McDaniel, Ph.D.
Office: BH 414
My research program integrates personality, social, developmental, and health psychology and emphasizes adolescent and young adult populations. One line of research involves exploring the relationship of personality factors (e.g., shy, optimistic, and brave) to health outcomes (e.g., depression, blood pressure, and cortisol stress levels). My second line of research involves examining environmental influences (e.g., family dynamics, role models) upon moral-emotional development (e.g., prosocial behavior, emotional regulation). A third line of research involves examining conflict (e.g., socioemotional- facial coding, physiological readings) and health within young-adult intimate couples.
I welcome student collaboration. Motivated undergraduates and graduate students can get experience in research design, data collection, analyses, presentations, and publications. Please contact me if you are interested (firstname.lastname@example.org or 785-532-0807).
Current Graduate Students
- Whitney Jeter
Structure and Consistency of Character. B. L. McDaniel (PI). The John Templeton Foundation in collaboration with Wake Forest University. The Character Project: New Frontiers in Psychology, Philosophy, and Theology. 08/01/11-08/01/13. Total Costs: $199,429.
Physical and Psychological Wellbeing in Kansas Boys and Girls Club Youth and Parents. B. L. McDaniel (PI). Kansas State University Small Research Grants Program. 07/01/10
– 07/01/11. Award Amount: $3,000.
- Enhancing Undergraduate Student Engagement. B. L. McDaniel (PI). Kansas State University Peer-Review Teaching Program – Mentor. 11/01/10 – 09/01/11. Award Amount: $500.
Enhancing Graduate Student Education. B. L. McDaniel (PI). Kansas State University Peer-Review Teaching Program – Fellow. 11/01/09 – 09/01/10. Award Amount: $1,000.
Leaders in Developmental Psychology. B. L. McDaniel (PI). Kansas State University ADVANCE Distinguished Lecture Series. 10/01/09 – 10/01/10. Award Amount: $1,200.
Heartrate Variability and Impedance Cardiography. B. L. McDaniel (PI). Kansas State University ADVANCE Institutional Transformation Program. 10/01/09 – 10/01/10.
Award Amount: $1,500.
Exploring Intimate Relationships in Emerging Adulthood: A Biopsychosocial Approach. B. L. McDaniel (PI). Kansas State University Small Research Grant Program. 07/01/09 –
07/01/10. Award Amount: $5,000.
LISREL: Software for Structural Equation Modeling. B. L. McDaniel (PI). Kansas State University Small Research Grant Program. 03/15/09 – 03/15/10. Award Amount: $750.
Analyzing and Collecting Cortisol in Saliva. B. L. McDaniel (PI). Kansas State University ADVANCE Institutional Transformation Program. 10/01/08 – 10/01/09. Award Amount: $1,000.
Multicultural Development Project. E. A. Eason (PI) & B. L. McDaniel (Co-PI). Tilford Incentive Grant: Kansas State University Office of the Provost. 10/01/08 – 10/01/09. Award Amount: $2,000.
- McDaniel, B. L., **Daugherty, J. R., **Rycek, J. M., **Jeter, W. K., & Eason, E. A. (2010). "Reaching for the stars" and "Looking down from a pedestal": Do discrepancies between the self and positive or poor role models influence emotional adjustment? Personal Construct Theory & Practice, 7, 76-84
- McDaniel, B. L., Grice, J. W., & Eason, E. A. (2010). Seeking a multi-construct model of morality, Journal of Moral Education, 39 (1).
- Eisenberg, N., Morris, A. S., McDaniel, B. L. & Spinrad, T. (2009). Moral cognitions and prosocial responding in adolescence. In R. M. Lerner & L. Steinberg (Eds.), Handbook of Adolescent Psychology, 3rd ed. pp. 229-265.
- McDaniel, B. L., & Grice, J. W. (2008). Predicting psychological well-being from self-discrepancies: A comparison of idiographic and nomothetic measures. Self and Identity, 7(3), 243-261.
- Grice, J. W., & McDaniel, B. L. (2006). Reflections on Lefebvre’s algebraic model of self-reflexion and Kelly’s theory of personal constructs. Reflexive Processes and Control, 6, 88-93.
- Grice, J. W., Jackson, B. J., & McDaniel, B. L. (2006). Bridging the idiographic-nomothetic divide: A follow-up study. Journal of Personality, 74(4), 1191-1218.
- McDaniel, B. L., & Grice, J. W. (2005). Measuring self-discrepancies on the Big Five personality traits with the repertory grid. Personal Construct Theory & Practice, 2, 18-31.