Kyle van Ittersum
Advisor: Dr. Clive Fullagar
Description of Research
My primary research is in the area of work and task engagement. Currently, I am focusing on a specific type of engagement referred to as the Flow state. Ongoing studies are investigating how to predict who is more likely to experience flow as well as when they would be likely to experience it. Additionally, our lab is interested in the methodology of using videogames and micro-worlds to study workplace phenomena in a laboratory setting.
Representative Publications and Presentations
- Mencl, J., Wefald, A. J., & van Ittersum, K. W. (Manuscript under review) The effects of interpersonal skills and work engagement on transformational leadership and the well-being of leaders.
- van Ittersum, K. W., Fullagar, C. J., & Knight, P. A. (Manuscript under review). The Positivity of Flow: Using Microworlds to Understand Optimal Experience
- Culbertson, S. S., Krome, L. R., McHenry, B. J., Stetzer, M. W., & van Ittersum, K. W. (2013). Performance appraisals: Mend them, don’t end them. In M. Paludi (Ed.), The psychology for business success. Westport, CT: Praeger Press.
Representative Conference Posters and Presentations
- Mencl, J., Wefald, A. J., & van Ittersum, K. W. (2014, October) The effects of interpersonal skills and work engagement on transformational leadership and the well-being of leaders. Paper presented at the Annual Conference for the Midwest Academy of Management.
- Nominated for best paper in the leadership track
- van Ittersum, K. W. & O’Dell, I. (2013). The SLS process of creating new student learning and development outcomes. Poster presentation at the Kansas State Institute for Student Learning Assessment, Manhattan, KS, November 12, 2013.
- Wefald, A. J., Mencl, J., van Ittersum, K. W., & Tolar, M. H. (2013, May). Exploring social competence using SDT: The influence of social skills on well-being, engagement, and leadership. Poster presentation at the annual meeting of Work, Stress, and Health conference, Los Angeles, CA.
- van Ittersum, K. W., & Fullar, C. J. (2012). Is ‘flow’ a positive state? Paper presented at the 6th European Conference on Positive Psychology, Moscow, Russia, June 26-29, 2012.
- van Ittersum, K. W., & Fullagar, C. J. (2012). Psychological Capital and the Flow State. Paper presented at the 24th Annual Association of Psychological Science Convention, Chicago, IL, May 24-27, 2012.
- Fullagar, C. J. & van Ittersum, K. W. (2012). Flow and well-being: An experimental Approach. Paper presented at the 27th Annual Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology Conference, San Diego, California, April 26-28, 2012
- Fullagar, C.J., van Ittersum, K.W., Knight, P.A., Waples, C.J., & Stetzer, M. (2010). Finding flow: Lessons learned from Rock Band®. Paper presented at the 5th European Conference on Positive Psychology, Copenhagen, Denmark, June 23 - 26, 2010.
- PSYCH 564, “Psychology of Organizations”, Fall 2014(scheduled) (8 week night course), Instructor
- PSYCH 563, “Gender Issues in the Workforce”, Spring 2014 (8 week night course), Instructor
- PSYCH 110, “General Psychology”, July 2013 (4 week summer course), Instructor
- PSYCH 564, “Psychology of Organizations”, Fall 2012 (8 week night course), Instructor
- PSYCH 110, “General Psychology”, Spring 2012, Instructor
Research Assistant (GRA) assignments:
- RockBand Lab RA –Fall 2009, Spring 2010, Fall 2010, Spring 2011
- Leadership Studies RA – Fall 2011, Spring 2012, Fall 2012
- Consortium Fellow for Army Research Institute (ARI), Fort Leavenworth
- Summer 2011
- Served as editor for submissions to the 2011 & 2012 Midwest Academy of Management Conference.
- Served on committee to select new department head for the Department of Psychology, Fall 2011
- 2013 Preliminary Exams Passed
- 2013 M.S. Psychology, Industrial/Organizational Psychology, Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS
- 2009 B.A., cum laude, Psychology, Minor in Business Administration , Truman State University, Kirksville, MO