Interim Assistant Vice President for Human Capital Services (AVPHCS)
The interim assistant vice president for human capital services (AVPHCS) will provide transitional leadership for the Division of Human Capital Services (HCS) and coordinate the current directors of Talent Acquisition, Learning and Development, Employee Relations and Engagement, Institutional Equity, Compensation and Organizational Effectiveness, Labor Relations and Special Projects, Benefits, and Resource Center and Operations as they continue to explore, enhance, and provide superlative services to K-State employees. The successful candidate will need to show proven success as a leader with accomplishments in developing and growing innovative and effective human capital programs to support and promote collaboration across campus. This successful candidate will also demonstrate ability as an advocate to foster diversity and promote a collegial and constructive environment based on open communication, positive team building, and effective management. Moreover, the Interim AVPHCS will serve on the President’s Cabinet and will partner with the Vice President of Communications and Marketing to oversee the effective delivery of human capital services to the university community.
Degree in Human Resources Management or related field. Graduate degree preferred.
- Experience in serving as a K-State HCS Director - managing and leading supporting collaborative human capital services
- Demonstrated ability to think and plan strategically
- Experience leading and aligning innovative human capital processes and best practices
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interactive listening skills with the ability and interest to model and coach exemplary behaviors
- Strong knowledge of human capital related state and federal regulations
- Demonstrated experiences leading human capital related functions in a complex environment with knowledge of current trends and emergent practices
- Ability to make timely decisions using sound judgment and include others in decision-making processes as appropriate
- Ability to translate university needs into effective strategies and successful outcomes
- Experience in leading equal opportunity and diversity efforts in a complex organization, and in fostering a workplace free from discrimination and bias
- Demonstrated capability to build and maintain effective relationships and collaborate and negotiate with a diverse range of internal and external stakeholders to achieve results
- Maintain certification in PHR/SPHR
The interim AVPHCS search committee invites applications - letter of interest, resume, contact information for at least three references – to be submitted as soon as possible. Applicants must be prepared to make a 10-minute presentation highlighting their strengths and weaknesses, what it is they currently do, and how they plan to expand and lead their fellow teammates in a temporary supervisory role.
This position is open to current Kansas State University, Human Capital Services directors. The application deadline is Monday, September 19 with interviews quickly following September 21-23. It is expected that the successful candidate will begin the position on September 26.
Interim AVPHCS Search Committee:
Jeff Morris, VP for Communications and Marketing
Pat Bosco, VP for Student Life
April Mason, Provost
Sue Peterson, Director of Governmental Relations
Peter Dorhout, VP for Research
Andy Bennett, President of Faculty Senate
Carol Marden, President of USS Senate
Loleta Sump, Director, Facilities Customer Service Desk