PILOTS is a year-long freshman retention program that provides academic structure, offers individual attention, and assists students in making a strong connection to the campus community.
PILOTS, an academic success program, which currently consists of approximately 160 self-selected students, is committed to diversity and equal opportunity for all students. Our goal is the retention of freshmen through two semesters and to help in their matriculation to the sophomore year.
Goals of the program
- Teach academic skills to avoid early academic jeopardy.
- Teach problem-solving and coping skills.
- Encourage growth and self-esteem building.
- Stabilize and see selected freshmen advance into their sophomore year.
- Offer opportunities for leadership and provide role models for professional success.
- Encourage and assist in career exploration.
- Encourage students’ involvement in activities and organizations while maintaining academic standards.
- Promote and expand the opportunities.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the PILOTS Program and the impact on the students in the program.
- Be a model for other universities.