about pilots : An Academic Success Program
What is the PILOTS Program?
PILOTS is a year-long freshman retention program that provides academic structure, offers individual attention, and assists students in making a strong connection to the campus community
How do I qualify?
Check with your academic advisor to find out if you fit the PILOTS academic profile.
Who is in PILOTS?
- Freshmen-level students who want a more structured first year as they make the transition to university life.
- Students who wish to work closely with their teachers and staff.
- Students who seek guidance and advice for early academic success.
- Students who want early leadership opportunities.
What is the PILOTS advantage?
- Small class size
- Class clusters
- Access to faculty
- Private computer lab
- Free tutoring
- Peer Assistants
- Writing Lab
- Leadership training
- Award opportunities
Does it cost extra to be in PILOTS?
- Taking classes through the PILOTS Program does not require additional tuition costs/fees.
- The tuition bill you receive lists PILOTS with a cost beside it: this amount is for the credit hours of your classes through PILOTS. The bottom line: You pay for these credit hours; the bill just itemizes where the money is being used.
How do PILOTS students perform academically compared to overall university freshmen?
The retention rate for PILOTS freshman is higher than the university-wide freshman retention rate.
The PILOTS advantage
Class clusters allow you to attend smaller classes with PILOTS peers.
Access to faculty
Smaller class sizes allow greater access to caring, involved faculty members.
Private computer lab and study areas
Two labs are available for peer-directed studying and quiet, independent study.
You’ll have access to free tutoring from older, successful students who are available to help explain class material.
Study sessions from peer assistants are available individually as well as in groups.
Writing labs, administered by instructors with experience teaching writing courses at K-State, help you with Expository Writing classes.
Several PILOTS scholarships and awards are available; you may also obtain help in filling out other scholarship forms.
A community within a community