Past Speaker Series
Speaker Series 2016-2017
- Trevor Hafley (Dept of Statistics, KSU) "When can the cause of a population decline be determined?" Friday, March 10, 2017, Dickens 203, 4:00 pm.
Speaker Series 2015-2016
Speaker Series 2014-2015
- Ben Caplan "Brutal Proposition" Monday, September 22, Dickens 203, 3:30 pm.
- William Melanson (University of Nebraska, Omaha) "The Epistemic Role of Confidence and Surety" Monday, October 6, Dickens 203, 3:30 pm.
- Daniel Silvermint "Complicity and Victim Well-being" Thursday, October 17, Dickens 203, 3:30pm.
- Tracey Bamberger (KSU and UT Austin) Alumni and local attorney. "Think Like a Lawyer" Thursday, October 23, Dickens 203, 3:30pm.
- Adrian Currie (Calgary) Seminar, Thur 30 Oct, 4pm "How to Build a Sea Urchin & Manufacture Smoking Guns" Dickens 203
- Michael Detlesfsen (Notre Dame) Seminar, Thur 13 Nov, 4pm Title TBD (Philosophy of Math) Dickens 203
- Heather Douglas (Waterloo) Seminar, Thur 4 Dec, 4pm "Responsible Science in Democratic Societies" Dickens 203
- John Christman (Penn State) Seminar, Thur 19 Feb, 4pm "Autonomy, Respect, and Joint Deliberation" Dickens 203
- Simon Huttegger (UC Irvine) Seminar, Thur 5 March, 4pm “Bayesian convergence to the truth and the metaphysics of possible worlds” Dickens 203
Speaker Series 2013-2014
- Susan Sterrett (Wichita) "The Moral of Model Making" Friday, October 18, Dickens 203, 3:30 pm.
- Sean Walsh (Birkbeck)
- Eileen Nutting (University of Kansas)
- Kansas Philosophical Society Meeting. (Hemisphere Room of Hale Library on KSU Campus.)
- Tommie Shelby (Harvard) "Punishment, Condemnation, and Social Justice," Thursday, February 27, Dickens 203, 4:00 pm.
- Dustin Stokes (Utah) "Towards a Consequentialist Understanding of Cognitive Penetration," Thursday, March 6, Dickens 203, 4:00 pm.
- Geoffrey Hellman (Minnesota) "Resolving Paradoxes: Extendability of Structures," Thursday, April 3, Dickens 203, 4:00 pm.
- Roundtable on Philosophy and Borges. Monday, April 7, UMB Theater, Beach Museum of Art, 4:00 p.m.
- Jorge J.E. Gracia (Buffalo) Tuesday, April 8, UMB Theater, Beach Museum of Art, 4:00 p.m.
- Camille Hébert (Moritz College of Law, Ohio State) "Applying Philosophical Principles in Law," Thursday, April 17, Dickens 203, 4:00 pm.
- Aaron Meskin (Leeds) "Experiments in Aesthetics: From Beauty to Bad Art," Monday, April 21, Dickens 203, 3:30 p.m.
Speaker Series 2012-2013
- Kevin Elliott (University of South Carolina): "Anthropocentric Indirect Arguments for Environmental Protection." Thursday, Sept. 27, Dickens 203.
- James McBain (Pittsburg State University): "I Heard It Through the Grapevine." 4:00 p.m., Friday, October 19, Dickens 203.
- Andrew Moon (Kansas State University): "Religious Disagreement, Epistemic Circularity, and the Cognitive Science of Religion." 3:30 p.m., Friday, October 26, Dickens 203.
- Margaret Little (Georgetown University): "Conscientious Objection and the Ethics of Provision" (with Anne Lyerly). 4:00 p.m., Thursday, March 7, Dickens 203.
- Neil Sinhababu (National University of Singapore): "Desire's Explanations." 3:30 p.m., Friday, March 29, Dickens 203.
- Harry Brighouse (University of Wisconsin, Madison). "High Commitment Charter Schools and Principles of Educational Justice." 4:00 p.m., Thursday, April 11, Dickens 203.
- Dennis Whitcomb (Western Washington University): "'You only believe that because you're a philosopher': debunking anti-foundationalism via the tools-to-theories heuristic." 4:00 p.m., Thursday, April 25, Dickens 203.
- Diana I. Pérez (University of Buenos Aires): "Folk psychology, psychological concepts and the second person." 4:00 p.m., Thursday, May 2, Dickens 203.
Speaker series 2011-12
- Mathias Risse (Harvard University)
- Edward McClennen (Syracuse University)
- Erin Frykholm (University of Kansas)
- Eric Marcus (Auburn University)
Speaker series 2010-11
- Peter Ludlow (Northwestern University)
- Chris Pincock (University of Missouri)
- Michael O'Rourke (University of Idaho)
Speaker series 2009-10
- Jonathan Weinberg (Indiana University)
- Dana Tulodziecki (UMKC)
- Michael Glanzberg (UC Davis)
- Alan Hájek (ANU)
Speaker series 2008-9
- Wayne Norman (Duke University)
- Marco Panza (CNRS, Paris, France)
- Linda Alcoff (Syracuse University)
- Rob Stainton (University of Western Ontario)
- Stewart Shapiro (The Ohio State University)
- John Norton (University of Pittsburgh, HPS)
- Berit Brogaard (University of Missouri - St. Louis)
- Joe Salerno (Saint Louis University)
- Tamar Schapiro (Stanford University)
Speaker series 2007-8
- Henry Jackman (York University, Toronto)
- Pirmin Stekeler-Weithofer (University of Leipzig, Germany)
- Brian McLaughlin (Rutgers University)
- The Art of Performance: a conference in honor of James Hamilton. Invited speakers included Noël Carroll (Temple University), David Davies (McGill University), James Hamilton (Kansas State University), Sherri Irvin (University of Oklahoma), Dominic McIver Lopes (University of British Columbia), Aaron Meskin (University of Leeds), Daniel Nathan (Texas Tech University), and David Osipovich (Marist College)
- Andrew Altman (Georgia State University)
- Lara Denis (Agnes Scott College)
- Paolo Mancosu (University of California-Berkeley)
Speaker series 2006-7
- Marlene Rozemond (University of Toronto)
- Philip Clark (University of Toronto)
- Jamie Tappenden (University of Michigan)
- Andrews Reath (University of California - Riverside)
- Steven Engstrom (University of Pittsburgh)
- Alan Richardson (University of British Columbia)
Speaker series 2005-6
- John Haught (Georgetown University, cosponsored by Geology and Origins)
- Ernie Lepore (Rutgers University)
- Michael Ruse (Florida State University, cosponsored by Origins)
- Dominic McIver Lopes (University of British Columbia)
- Marc Lange (University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill)
- Erin Kelly (Tufts University)
Speakers series 2004-2005
- Sarah Buss (University of Iowa)
- Louise Antony (The Ohio State University)
- Robert Pennock (Michigan State University, cosponsored by Origins)
- Jorge Gracia (University at Buffalo, cosponsored by American Ethnic Studies)
Speakers series 2003-2004
- Elijah Millgram (University of Utah)
- Thomas Pogge (Columbia University)
- Frank Arntzenius (Rutgers University)
Speakers series 2002-2003
- Mark Lance (Georgetown University)
- David Sosa (University of Texas at Austin)
- Robert Stalnaker (Massachusetts Institute of Technology)
Speaker series 2001-2002
- Michael Friedman (Stanford University)
- Kit Fine (New York University)
- Peter Kivy (Rutgers University)
Speaker series 2000-2001
- Elliot Sober (University of Wisconsin - Madison)
- Susan Okin (Stanford University)
- G. A. Cohen (All Souls College, Oxford)
Speaker series 1999-2000
- John Carriero (University of California, Los Angeles)
- Sally Haslanger (Massachusetts Institute of Technology)
- Terry Horgan (Memphis State University)
- Jeff McMahan (University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign)
Speaker series 1998-1999
- Charles Mills (University of Illinois, Chicago)
- Calvin Normore (University of California, Los Angeles)
- Ernest Sosa (Brown University)
- David Velleman (University of Michigan)
Speaker series 1997-1998
- Robert Adams (Yale University)
- Marilyn Adams (Yale University)
- Jaegwon Kim (Brown University)
- Gary Watson (University of California, Irvine)
- Steve Yablo (University of Michigan)
Other invited speakers 1997-2000
- Jack Bricke (University of Kansas)
- Fernando Broncano (University of Salamanca)
- Ann Cudd (University of Kansas)
- John Etchemendy (Stanford University)
- Lex Newman (University of Nebraska)
- Eduardo Rabossi (University of Buenos Aires)
- Eduardo Rivera Lopez (University di Tella)
- David Rudge (Iowa State University)
- David Sosa (University of Texas)
- Mark Van Roojen (University of Nebraska)
- Andrew Wayne (Concordia University)
A sample of our guest speakers 1995-1997
- Tyler Burge (University of California, Los Angeles), 1996
- Clark Glymour (Carnegie Mellon University), 1996
- Robert Audi (University of Nebraska), 1995
- John Perry (Stanford University), 1995