The exam below is simply a sample test, portions of which were given to students in 1995. This
sample exam is not meant to be all inclusive. Rather, it should be used only to give you an idea of
how I design many of my exams. Be sure that not all information in the course is contained within
the body of this sample exam.
BIOLOGY 545 LECTURE EXAM
Trematodes and Cestodes (100 PTS)
NOTE: A species is binomial; do not abbreviate generic names.
- List 5 species of trematode that routinely spend a portion of their
adult or larval life infecting the
vertebrate liver, gall bladder, and/or bile ducts (2 points each; 10 points).
- The following represents some key characteristics or key words describing some of the
parasites we've examined thus far in class. Please write in the correct species of worm behind the
prompt. More than one parasite may pertain to a particular question, but please just give one
answer. In addition, some parasites may be used more than once (2 point each, 20 points total).
- Large lateral spine on egg
- Unilocular hydatid cyst
- Adults in lungs
- Cephalic cone
- Salmon poisoning
- Measly beef
- Polar filament
- Slime balls
- Please define each of the following terms in one sentence or less. Please be sure to give a
species of trematode or cestode representative of each (2 points each, 22 points total).
- Gynecophoral canal
- Egg packets
- Name a commonly used drug for treating many trematode and cestode infections in humans (2
- Please compare and contrast the following terms (i.e. give a
similarity between the two, and
give a difference between the two). Be sure to give a representative species for each term (4
point each, 12 points total).
- Redia versus Sporocyst
- Cysticercoid versus Cysticercus
- Metacercaria versus Mesocercaria
- Name the 3 main ways mentioned in class that parasites might enter
your body (2 points each, 6
- Please diagram the entire life cycle of Diphyllobothrium
latum. Please be complete
(10 points total).
- Give 2 parasite species discussed in class that provide evidence of why man's best friend, the
domestic dog, is not always man's best friend (2 points each, 4 points total).
- If you were provided an intact adult tapeworm and were asked whether it was Taenia
solium or Taenia saginatus, what would be the 2 most important criteria that you
would use to distinguish between the two species? Be sure to be specific about each of the two
characteristics, and tell what goes with which species (4 points total).
- Please diagram the entire life cycle of Dicrocoelium dendriticum. Please be sure to be
complete (10 points total).
Take me home
Home | Search | What's
New | Help | Comments
Kansas State University | Biology Division
30 September, 1999