Frequently Asked Questions
Is there a cost to see the Director of Consumer and Tenant Affairs?
No, if you are a student you have already paid with your student privilege fees.
How long will it take to get an appointment?
Every effort is made to schedule appointments within 24 hours.
What kind of cases do we see in the office?
- Landlord and Tenant
- Questions about landlord and tenant responsibilities
- Tenant rights
- Security Deposit Return
- Review leases
- Assist with finding housing in Manhattan for out-of-state students
- Roommate disputes
- Preventative steps to take before renting
- How to find a good rental dwelling
- How to find a good landlord
- How to protect your legal rights before signing a lease
- Consumer problems, such as sales and service contracts
What should I do to prepare for my appointment with the Director?
You should bring all pertinent documents (lease, etc.) for the Director to review. Also, be prepared to provide as many facts as possible (names, dates, times, etc...)