Earn while you learn. Part-time jobs in the community or on campus can help pay for tuition, books, housing and other expenses. Earn part of the $15 million annual payroll for campus jobs.
Benefits of student jobs
- Earn money to help pay for college expenses.
- Find opportunities for a range of career interests.
- Build your employment history.
- Broaden your social and support network.
- Expand your list of professional references and contacts.
- Increase your likelihood of graduating.
Types of student jobs
|Type||Where||Hours per week||Who can apply||Paycheck|
|Work-study job||Campus||30 max||Those with financial need||Paid by federal program and university|
|Part-time campus job||Campus||30 max||Any student||Paid by university|
|Internship||Off campus||Check with employer||Check with employer||Paid by employer or unpaid for college credit and/or job experience|
|Off campus||Off campus||Check with employer||Check with employer||Paid by employer|
On-campus options include working as receptionist in an academic department, an usher at Bramlage Coliseum in Manhattan, a clerk in the university bookstore, a landscaper with the Division of Facilities and more.
Part-time campus jobs
- Hospitality/food service
- Clerical/office support
- Social services/health care
- General labor
- Seasonal/independent contractor
- Information technology/mathematics
Largest campus employers
- Housing and Dining Services
- Bramlage Coliseum
- K-State Student Union
- Division of Facilities
- K-State Libraries
- Division of Biology
- Department of animal sciences and industry
- Department of agronomy
Opportunities include working in graphic design, customer service, after-school care, office assistance, marketing and more.
- Retail and grocery stores
- Manhattan Town Center mall
- Businesses in Aggieville (Manhattan) and downtown
- Child care organizations
- Medical offices
- Insurance companies
- Banks and credit unions
- Landscaping and construction firms
Graduate Teaching and Research Assistantships
Many academic departments offer competitive teaching and research assistantships for graduate students. Graduate students are encouraged to visit with their academic program director about available assistantship opportunities.
How to find a job
Manhattan students can find jobs through the Career Center, K-State Student Union's job board and career fairs. Salina students can find jobs through the Polytechnic campus Human Resources office. After graduation, Career and Employment Services can take you from college to a career.