POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT: Study Abroad Advisor
Office of International Programs, Study Abroad
By 2025 Kansas State University will be recognized as one of the nation’s Top 50 Public Research Universities. Our engagement with the international community is critical to the future of our students, our university, and our state. Internationalization is a “common element” underlying the vision and goals of the K-State 2025 initiative. This high level commitment to internationalization underscores the value we place on providing exemplary study abroad opportunities to our students, and enhancing the student world experience and that of our learning community.
The Study Abroad Advisor provides guidance and outstanding professional service to students before, during and after their educational experience abroad. He or she provides information to students, parents, faculty, and staff regarding various study abroad programs and coordinates with relevant academic and administrative offices. He or she also assists with coordinating program and application processes, and participates in campus recruitment and promotion, as well as participant selection.
The Study Abroad Advisor works with overseas partners to obtain information regarding application processes, course selection, arrival information, accommodation, and other relevant information. Some national and international travel is expected.
This person is a representative of Kansas State University and the Office of International Programs (OIP) and maintains effective working relationships with Study Abroad and OIP staff, the campus community, and international partners. As a member of the Office of International Programs, the Study Abroad Office strives to achieve the goals set forth in the K-State 2025 Internationalization Strategic Action Plan.
This is a full-time, 12 month position that is benefits eligible.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Significant experience abroad (ex: study, intern, volunteer or work)
- Experience counseling, teaching, or working with students, preferably in higher education
- High level of communication and problem-solving skills, including attention to detail
- Experience working with multiple, ongoing projects and activities in a fast-paced environment
- Experience communicating with people from a variety of cultures
- Demonstrated knowledge of the various aspects of international travel (passports, visas, geography, languages spoken, currency, politics, modes of travel, etc.)
- Master’s Degree in a field related to International Education or Student Services
- Experience with Agriculture, Education, Engineering or Human Ecology fields or faculty-led study abroad program management
- Experience in event planning and campus outreach
- Ability to communicate in at least one language in addition to English
- Experience using StudioAbroad or other online application management systems
- Experience in public speaking and training
- Eligible to work in the USA
Screening of applications to begin: January 5th, 2015
Conditions of Appointment: A background check is required prior to finalizing an offer of employment. Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States for any employer.
Salary Range: $36,000
Start date: Negotiable, with preference for March 1st 2015
To apply: Applications must be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org with Study Abroad Advisor in the subject line. Submit a letter of interest; resume or curriculum vitae; names and contact information for three references.
Kansas State University is an EOE of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans.
Kansas State University actively seeks diversity among its employees.
Background check required.