Full Time (12 Month) Instructors
Office of International Programs
English Language Program
Kansas State University, a major public research university, invites applicants for the position of Full-Time Instructor for the English Language Program, a unit of the Office of International Programs. Our engagement with the international community is critical to the future of our students, our university and our state. Internationalization is a “common element” underlying the vision and goals of the K-State 2025 initiative. This high level of commitment to internationalization underscores the value we place on orienting our international students to American culture and the academic environment. We believe the university community, as well as the language learners are enriched by providing academic and personal advising while facilitating students’ transition to degree programs through support courses. This position will begin August 2014 and serves as a 12 month term position which reports to the Director of the English Language Program.
- plan and conduct 15 class hours per week (3-5 classes)
- assign, grade, and return student work
- hold at least one office hour per day
- keep records of and report student achievement on mid-term and end-of-semester forms
- become familiar with the tests / grading criteria given by the ELP
- participate in assessment
- help with testing and enrollment duties at the beginning and end of the semester
- aid in curriculum development
- attend/participate at departmental meetings
- become familiar with University procedures as they impact ELP students
- serve on a standing committee
- work two Saturdays per semester for testing
- MA in TESL or related area, degree completed by July 2014
- Experience in teaching ESL in an intensive university program
- Experience in working with college / university students or adult learners
- Experience in living / traveling abroad or having a second language
Additional Areas of Expertise of Interest to the Program:
- Short program management
- Standardized assessment
- Technical writing
- Business English
- Graduate writing
Screening of applications to begin: June 9th, 2014
Conditions of Appointment: A background check is required prior to finalizing an offer of employment.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States for any employer.
Salary Range: $39,000 – $44,500 depending on experience for 12 month contracts (9 month contracts negotiable).
Start date: August 2014
To apply: Applications must be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. Submit cover letter, resume or curriculum vitae, graduate school transcripts and contact information for three professional references, one of which must have been a direct supervisor. We reserve the right to go “off list” for references.
Kansas State University is an EOE of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans.
Kansas State University actively seeks diversity among its employees.
Background check required.