Undergraduate Admission - English Proficiency Requirements

Students applying for undergraduate admission are not required to provide proof of English proficiency in order to be admitted at Kansas State University. If a student does not provide proof of English proficiency, the student will be required to take the English Language Test on campus when they arrive.

What tests do we accept and scores* do we accept?

iBT (Internet Based TOEFL)

Overall score of 79


Overall score of 6.5

Cambridge English: First (FCE)

Grade of A

Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE)

Grade of C or higher


English subscore of 23


Critical Reading score of 530

PTE Pearson Test of English

Overall Score of 53


Pre-1 Score

*Unofficial test scores will not be accepted

How can you submit validated or official test scores?

Students have two options. They may:

  • submit the official score report issued to them by the testing company
  • have scores sent directly to K-State from the testing center. 

K-State's university code to send scores from the testing center is 6334 - Undergraduate.

PLEASE NOTE: Once students take the English Placement Test (EPT) and are assigned to English classes, their only option to show English proficiency is by completing the English Language Program. TOEFL and other test scores reported after students take the EPT cannot be used to waive English classes.



Apply now

Are these tests unavailable in your country?

Undergraduate students may be admitted to Kansas State University based on academic credentials with no proof of English proficiency.

What does this mean?
  • Students do not need to take a standardized test (TOEFL, IELTS)
  • Students who do not submit any test scores are required to take the English Proficiency Test (EPT) upon arrival on campus

The results of the English Proficiency Test (EPT) will determine if the students will:

  • study English, either full-time or part-time
  • begin full-time university classes