Undergraduate Admission - English Proficiency Requirements
Undergraduate students may be admitted to Kansas State University based on academic credentials with no proof of English proficiency.
What does this mean?
- Students do not need to take a standardized test (TOEFL, IELTS)
- Students who do not submit any test scores are required to take the English Proficiency Test (EPT) upon arrival on campus
The results of the English Proficiency Test (EPT) will determine if the students will:
- study English, either full-time or part-time
- begin full-time university classes
Students who submit validated test scores that meet minimum score requirements will be given a waiver from the English Proficiency Test and may directly enroll in full-time academic courses. Send test scores to K-State’s university code: 6334*
*Some tests, such as the TOEFL, allow you to specify which department within the university you would like to send your scores to. In this case, select "undergraduate."
Students Attending High School or College in USA
High school or transfer students who do not meet the English Proficiency Requirements must sit for the English Placement Test (EPT) upon arrival on campus or submit the appropriate validated test scores.
Transfer students from a U.S. institution must have completed:
- 24 credit hours at an accredited US institution WITH English Composition I and II with grades of C or better
Students who have attended a U.S. high school must have completed:
- Four years in a U.S. high school with grades of C or better in all college preparatory English courses
What tests do we accept and scores* do we accept?
iBT (Internet Based TOEFL)
Overall score of 79
Overall score of 6.5
Cambridge English: First (FCE)
Grade of A
Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE)
Grade of C or higher
English subscore of 23
Critical Reading score of 530
PTE Pearson Test of English
Overall Score of 53
*Unofficial test scores will not be accepted
How can you submit validated or official test scores?
Students have two options. They may:
- submit the official score report issued to them by the testing company
- have scores sent directly to K-State from the testing center.
K-State's university code to send scores from the testing center is 6334 - Undergraduate.
PLEASE NOTE: Once students take the English Placement Test (EPT) and are assigned to English classes, their only option to show English proficiency is by completing the English Language Program. TOEFL and other test scores reported after students take the EPT cannot be used to waive English classes.