Tenant and Landlord Duties
- Pay rent on time.
- Keep the property clean and free from damage.
- Pay for damages caused by your own negligence or the negligence of your guests.
- Do not take on additional roommates or subleasors without the written consent of your landlord and roommates.
- Allow the landlord entry in order to make needed repairs or show your apartment on occasion.
- Follow ALL provisions of your lease.
- Keep the property livable and in compliance with all building and housing codes materially affecting health and safety.
- Make and pay for repairs due to ordinary wear and tear.
- Refrain from turning off the water, electricity, and gas. (If you are responsible for these utilities and they roll over into the landlord’s name, you may be fined.)
- Not unlawfully discriminate.
- Not raise the rent or change major provisions of the lease in the middle of a lease agreement.
Housing and Credit Counseling, Inc. (HCCI)
HCCI provides free resources and counseling to both tenants and landlords of Kansas regarding their rights and responsibilities. Visit their website at http://www.hcci-ks.org/counseling?id=27.