Plant the Seeds: Grow a Music Teacher
Music Teacher Apprenticeship Model
During the sophomore year of high school, student who showed interest in music as a career, teaching as a career, or obvious leadership abilities were encouraged to participate in the Music Teacher Apprenticeship program.
- An introduction to music theory course was taught beginning with a review of music fundamentals leading to aural and visual interval recognition and chord progression identification.
- Each student was assigned one younger student to teach weekly lesson over a semester’s time. They were expected to maintain a notebook of lesson content, progress notes, and reflections on their teaching experience.
- Each student was encouraged to take private piano or piano class.
- Students were required to prepare a solo for the state solo festival.
- Participation in a large ensemble was required