Students should not enroll for big bands or combos until they have received notification that they have be placed in an ensemble or combo. Upon acceptance students should immediately fill out an add form to be signed by Dr. Goins. No student is officially enrolled without completing this process and is therefore in violation of university policy if they are participating in an ensemble or combo.
- All students participating in the KSU Jazz Program are expected to adequately demonstrate the following competencies: Improvisation, Sight Reading, and Theory.
- Auditions for all big bands and combos are held during the first week of classes.
- To sign up, students should fill out and print the Audition Form (pdf).
- Any student without a complete form will be denied an audition.
- Failure to appear at the scheduled time may result in forfeiture of audition. Percussion auditions are held separately in 201 McCain and will be coordinated by Dr. Kurt Gartner. (Please refer to sign up sheets for specific time/dates).
Students will audition before a panel of a three-member jury. Auditions will take no more than 10-15 min. Students should bring any and all materials suitable for a successful audition. Play-along CDs such as Jamey Abersold are preferred for rhythm accompaniment, although solo performances are welcome.
The audition has three components
- Performance/Improvisation Piece: Students will perform jazz piece(s) of his/her choosing, either with or without accompaniment.
- Sight Reading: Students will sight read excerpts taken from a typical big band chart on their particular instrument, chosen by the audition committee.
- Theory/Scales: Students will be asked to demonstrate their knowledge of chords/scales and arpeggios.
Audition results for big bands and combos will be posted by the end of the week. Please look for results on the bulletin board outside of 222 McCain.