Music Education Emphasis
In addition to the core requirements, the following is required for an MM with an emphasis in Music Education.
An applicant in music education may arrange a personal audition or send a recording demonstrating ability in the major area of performance as part of the admission process. Those who do not do so will audition during the registration period.
As above with the following amplification: MUSIC 807: History and Philosophy of Music Education is required.
4 hours individual instruction in the major performance area of the student’s undergraduate study, or in a chosen secondary performance area, or in advanced conducting.
Music education core: (6 credit hours)
- MUSIC 805 - Theories of Music Education Credits: (3)
- MUSIC 808 - Research in Music Education Credits: (3)
Music education electives (6-7 credit hours)
not more than 2 hours of 811 or 814 may be counted
- MUSIC 806 - Psychology of Music Credits: (3)
- MUSIC 809 - Seminar in Music Education Credits: (3)
- MUSIC 811 - Symposium in Music Credits: (1-3)
- MUSIC 814 - Workshop in Music Credits: (1-2)
Master’s report (2 credit hours)
With the approval of the student’s advisory committee and the graduate faculty of the area concerned, the requirements may be satisfied by one of the following:
- A scholarly paper on some aspect of the student’s major area of teaching;
- An original composition of acceptable proportions, with an accompanying report;
- A recital on the student’s major instrument, the recital to be given under the conditions listed under the performance major;
- Six additional semester hours of graduate courses in music education and/or advanced courses related field, (e.g., art, drama, education, philosophy, psychology, statistics, etc.).