The Department offers financial aid to Modern Language majors and to students in foreign language education at all levels for study at K-State or for participating in approved study abroad programs. Thanks to the generous support of our alumni and other friends, we are able to award in excess of $25,000 each year. Scholarships range from approximately $250 to $2,000 a year and are awarded on the basis of merit.
- Margaret E. Beeson Scholarship: The recipient of this scholarship will be a junior or senior enrolled in the College of Arts & Sciences who is majoring in Spanish. The recipient must have a 3.25 GPA in Spanish and a 2.75 overall GPA on a 4.0 scale. The purpose of this scholarship is to provide financial support.
- Megan Elizabeth Taylor Memorial Scholarship in Modern Languages: The recipient shall be enrolled in the College of Arts and Sciences and majoring or minoring in Modern Languages. Selection is based on financial need and scholarship potential. Preferences: 1. Female student studying Spanish ; 2. Any female majoring or minoring in Modern Languages ; 3. Any Modern Languages major/minor ; 4. Faculty awards related to mentoring student recipients of this award or other students who would particularly benefit from such mentoring. The award may be renewed if scholastic standards are met and/or need continues. The purpose of this award(s) is to perpetuate the memory of Megan Taylor and to provide financial assistance to students who are majoring in Modern Languages and faculty members of the Department of Modern Languages.
- Nelson (Barakah) Memorial Scholarship: The recipient of this scholarship will be a student who has completed the Japanese III language course in the Dept. of Modern Languages and intends to earn a minor in Japanese. The recipient must have a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA based on a 4.0 scale. Preference will be given to a student with demonstrated financial need. Additional preference will be given to a student who meets eligibility requirements for the Pell Grant program. The purpose of this scholarship is to perpetuate the memory of Barakah Nelson and to provide financial assistance to students enrolled in the Department of Modern Languages.
Study Abroad Scholarships
- Kanost (Ryan) Memorial Study Abroad Scholarship: The recipient(s) of this scholarship will be undergraduate student(s) enrolled in the Dept. of Modern Languages in the College of Arts and Sciences, majoring in Spanish. If no Spanish majors qualify for the scholarship, non-Spanish majors may be considered. The recipient(s) must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.7 on a 4.0 scale and be committed to an international study abroad experience through the Dept. of Modern Languages during the year the award is received. Preference should be given to students with financial need. The purpose of this scholarship is to perpetuate the memory of Ryan Kanost and to provide financial assistance for an international study abroad experience to students enrolled in Modern Languages.
- Stamey (Thomas E.) Memorial Scholarship Modern Languages: Recipient shall be a graduate or undergraduate student enrolled in the College of Arts and Sciences who is majoring in Modern Languages. Preference for awards shall be given to students studying in University study abroad program and any Modern Language major. The purpose is to provide financial assistance to students majoring in Modern Languages and to serve as a memorial to Thomas E. Stamey, 1974 Modern Language graduate.
General Modern Languages Scholarships
- Hollis (M/M James L) Modern Language Scholarship: Recipients must be majoring in Modern Languages, have a 3.0 GPA in all language courses, and be recommended by the Department of Modern Languages. The purpose of this scholarship is to provide financial assistance.
- Johnston (Wilma) & Hollis (Jean) Modern Languages Scholarship: Recipients must be majoring in Modern Languages. The purpose is to provide financial assistance.
- Modern Languages Scholarship: The recipient shall be a major or dual major in Modern Languages with a GPA of 3.0 or better who has completed the equivalent of the fourth semester course (FREN 301, GRMN 301, SPAN 301) in the Modern Languages major (or higher). The recipient must be a full-time student enrolled in Modern Languages courses or participating in a study abroad program while holding the scholarship.
- The Harold J. Terrill, Jr. Memorial Scholarship: Recipient(s) shall be any deserving student(s) majoring in Modern Languages who meet all other eligibility requirements for student financial assistance. The award amount shall be determined by the Scholarship Committee. This scholarship has been created to pay tribute to the memory of Harold J. Terrill, Jr., who was killed in an automobile accident on November 9, 1972, while serving as an assistant professor in the Dept. of Modern Languages.
- Jo Harriett Hofsess Popkins Scholarship: The recipients of this scholarship shall be students properly enrolled in the College of Arts and Sciences who are majoring in English or foreign languages.
Graduate Student Scholarships
Kirmser Award for Endeavors in Modern Languages
The Kirmser Award for Endeavors in Modern Languages supports educational and professional endeavors in Modern Languages. Projects supported include, but are not limited to: research for a report or thesis; participation in professional activity such as conference; participation in professional training such as Bridging the Gap; study abroad; and support for professional advancement in a modern language field (such as beginning a PhD program or an international teaching experience). Applications are welcome from students in any graduate program in the Department of Modern Languages: German, French, Spanish, and TEFL. To be eligible, students must have completed one semester of graduate-level coursework in Modern Languages.
Philippe Dehon Graduate Scholarship
The one recipient of this scholarship will be a graduate student enrolled in Modern Languages—French in the College of Arts and Sciences. The recipient will be chosen to recognize the excellence of the work done as a student. The purpose of this endowment is to honor Claire L. Dehon’s brother, Philippe Dehon, with a permanent memorial and tribute and to provide financial assistance to graduate students enrolled in Modern Languages—French.
Applying for Scholarships
- Applications are due March 10, 2017
- Applications should be emailed to Dr. Kathleen Antonioli (email@example.com)
- Graduate Student Application Form
- Undergraduate Student Application Form
- Eligibility Criteria for Undergraduates
- Modern Languages Major
- Japanese Minor
- Modern Languages Minor Participating in approved study abroad
- Minimum GPA of 3.0.
- Full-time student and enrolled in language courses at KSU or participating in the study abroad program while holding the scholarship.
- Completion of the intermediate (4) level of language study by the end of the semester in which they apply.
- Students' activities both on and off campus will be considered in awarding scholarships. Particular attention will be paid to those applicants who participate in activities sponsored by or related to the Department of Modern Languages.
- Eligibility Criteria for Undergraduates
DUAL MAJORS OR CANDIDATES FOR TEACHER CERTIFICATION ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
Incoming freshmen language majors are asked to submit a personal letter of application, letters of recommendation from their high school language teacher and one other teacher, and their high school transcript, including their ACT or SAT scores. They must have studied the target language in high school for two or more years, and have a minimum B average in all high school foreign language courses and in all high school course work.
For more information, contact Dr. Kathleen Antonioli (firstname.lastname@example.org), Chair of Scholarship Committee.