Art, lectures, special events: Beach Museum offers it all during October
Friday, Oct. 4, 2013
MANHATTAN -- Kansas State University's Marianna Kistler Beach Museum of Art is offering plenty of activities for patrons of all ages to enjoy during the month of October. The following events, all free unless otherwise indicated, are sponsored by the Beach Museum. They include:
* A farewell party for the "Museum of Wonder" exhibition will be 1-3 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 5. Refreshments and art activities will be available.
* "The World's Largest Collection of the World's Smallest Versions of the World's Largest Things" Traveling Roadside Attraction and Museum will be from noon-5 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 5, and Sunday, Oct. 6. Visitors can tour this unique museum in the Beach Museum parking lot and speak with its curator, Erika Nelson.
* As part of national "Art Beyond Sight" awareness activities, an "Art Beyond Sight" open house will be from 1:30-3 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 13. The event will include stations that investigate different art media through touch, verbal imaging descriptions and hands-on activities.
* A gallery walk exploring the museum's "Pure Photography: Pictorial and Modern Photographs" exhibition will be at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 16. Leading the tour will be Kansas State University's Theresa Bembnister, Beach Museum associate curator; Shreepad Joglekar, assistant professor of art; Stephen Wolgast, instructor of journalism and mass communications; and Michaeline Chance-Reay, assistant professor emeritus of curriculum and instruction.
* The School Day Off Workshop, for kids ages 5 and up, will be 10-11:30 a.m. Friday, Oct. 18. Activities include a viewing of the Beach Museum's new outdoor sculpture installation by Joan Backes. Kids also can create their own "Home, Sweet Home" sculpture. Preregistration is required for this event by calling 785-532-7718. The cost is $5 per participant and $3 for Beach Museum members.
* An opening reception for Joan Backes' "Where the Heart Belongs" exhibition will be 5-7 p.m. Friday, Oct. 18. Backes will give a talk at 5 p.m.
* ArtSmart classes for October, which give students the opportunity to explore different art media, will focus on found object sculpture. The schedule includes: Home School Tuesday from 1-2:30 p.m. and a class for all ages from 4-5 p.m., both Tuesday, Oct. 22; Toddlers and Twos will be 10:30-11 a.m. and a class for all ages from 4-5 p.m., both Wednesday, Oct. 23; ages 2-3 will be 10:30-11:30 a.m. and a class for kindergarten students and up will be 4-5 p.m., both Thursday, Oct. 24; and a class for ages 4-5 will be 10:30-11:30 a.m. Friday, Oct. 25. The cost is $3 per child and $1.50 for Friends of the Beach Museum of Art members. Children must be accompanied by an adult. Reservations are required; call 785-532-7718 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.