News release prepared by: Katie Mayes, 785-532-6415, firstname.lastname@example.org
Thursday, Nov. 19, 2009
K-STATE OFFERS FESTIVE TRIMMINGS WITH CUSTOM MEATS, BAKED GOODS THE ARTS AND MORE THIS HOLIDAY SEASON
MANHATTAN -- Kansas State University is helping spread the spirit of the holidays with gift ideas, seasonal foods, musical performances and other activities.
K-State holiday gifts and special activities include:
* K-State Student Union Foodservices, in the union food court, is selling K-State crown rolls, gourmet bar cookies and handmade pies in its "Home for the Holidays" promotion. Apple, pumpkin or pecan pies are available and can be ordered by calling 785-532-6068.
* The Friends of K-State Libraries' Holiday Book Sale features a wide variety of used books for sale from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 8, and Wednesday, Dec. 9, on the second floor of Hale Library.
* Nearly 50 cultivars of poinsettias grown at K-State will be sold from 1-6 p.m. Monday, Nov. 23; 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 2; and 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 5. All sales will be in the visitor's center at the K-State Gardens, 1500 Denison Ave. The cost is $10 for a 6.5-inch plant or six for $50, while 10-inch centerpieces are $15 each.
* Kim Williams, K-State professor of horticulture, forestry and recreation resources, will discuss how to keep poinsettias healthy in the public presentation "Culture and Care of the Christmas Flower" at 10 a.m. Dec. 5 in 2414 Throckmorton Hall. More information is available at http://tinyurl.com/yc8rqrf
* The K-State Potters Guild will sell ceramics made by students from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Dec. 7-9 in the Union.
* Meats raised and processed at K-State can be ordered for the holidays from the Call Hall Dairy Bar and K-State meat sales counter in Call Hall. Offerings include 12-14 pound hickory-smoked turkeys at $2.09 per pound and hickory-smoked boneless ham at $3.09 per pound. Orders for December and January holidays should be placed by Friday, Dec. 4. Pick-up dates are Dec. 7-22. Orders may be picked up at the Call Hall dairy bar, which is open from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday, and 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, unless otherwise posted. Payment may be made when the order is picked up. For more information, call 785-532-1292. Also available are gift boxes with summer sausage and cheese. Other items for sale include Lebanon-style bologna and Wildkat Loaf, all for $3.89 per pound; and other beef, lamb, pork and dairy products.
Holiday-themed performances and activities at K-State include:
* The Holiday Festival of Music featuring the K-State Concert Choir, Collegiate Chorale, Rhapsody Ringers and K-State Brass and Trumpet ensembles, at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 3, at the First United Methodist Church, 612 Poyntz Ave.
* K-State's McCain Performance Series will present Big Bad Voodoo Daddy's "Wild and Swingin' Holiday Party" at 7:30 p.m. Friday, Dec. 4, in McCain Auditorium. The Grammy-nominated group will put a big band twist on yuletide classics including "Blue Christmas," "Jingle Bells" and "We Three Kings." Ticket information is available at http://www.k-state.edu/mccain
* Holiday concert by the K-State Singers at 7:30 p.m. Friday, Dec. 4, in All Faiths Chapel.
* Annual Holiday Family Art Workshop, 2-4 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 6, at K-State's Marianna Kistler Beach Museum of Art. Children can create and decorate Christmas cards, gingerbread figures and ornaments -- including a special Christmas butterfly ornament inspired by the museum's "Robert Lang: Insect Origami" exhibition. Cost is $5 a child or half price for Beach Buddies. Reservations are not required but all children must be accompanied by an adult. Call 785-532-7718 for more information.
* Holiday concert by K-State's Men's and Women's Glee Clubs at 3 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 6, in All Faiths Chapel.
* Holiday concert by the K-State Orchestra at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 8, in McCain Auditorium.
* The Bluemont Buffet's Holiday Buffet will be 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 9, in the Union Ballroom. Cost is $8.99. To make reservations, call 785-532-6068. The menu is available at: