Source: Pam Monroe, 785-532-5525, email@example.com
Monday, May 23, 2011
EXCELLENCE REWARDED: COLLEGE OF EDUCATION RECOGNIZES STUDENTS FOR OUTSTANDING WORK, POTENTIAL
MANHATTAN -- Kansas State University's College of Education is recognizing seven of its new graduates for outstanding undergraduate work or their potential as future teachers.
Five of the students received the college's Outstanding Undergraduate Student Award, while Outstanding Future Teacher Awards were presented to an elementary education graduate and a secondary education graduate.
Students, all May 2011 K-State graduates, recognized by the college include:
* Chance Gates, secondary education, Coldwater, College of Education Outstanding Future Teacher in Secondary Education Award. Gates is active in the American Choral Directors Association, serving as treasurer of the K-State chapter in 2009-2010. He also is a member of the National Association for Music Educators, served on K-State's Teach Education Advisory Council in 2010 and received the Dick Mason Music Educator Scholarship. He was a member of the K-State Christian Challenge Worship Band and choreographer for the K-State Singers. He is the son of Chan and Susan Gates, Coldwater, and a 2006 graduate of South Central High School in Coldwater.
* Lora Andrews, secondary education, Hillsboro, College of Education Outstanding Undergraduate Student Award. Andrews was a member of the College of Education Ambassadors, serving as public relations/Experience Day chair for two years and receiving the group's Golden Apple Award for 2009-2010. She also was a member of the Kansas National Education Association-Student Chapter. A member of K-State Wesley, the United Methodist campus ministry, she served as freshman small group leader, on the leadership team, student representative on the board of directors, resident adviser and Connectional Ministry chair. Her off-campus activities included being a member of the Manhattan Community Jazz Band, a member of the Kansas 4-H Camp Action team; and a member of the National 4-H Hall of Fame selection committee in 2009. Andrews is the daughter of Gary and Sally Andrews, Hillsboro, and 2007 graduate of Hillsboro High School.
* Jill Berghaus, elementary education, Lenexa, College of Education Outstanding Undergraduate Student Award. Berghaus served as president of Kappa Delta Pi, the education honorary, and was a College of Education Ambassador. She was a member of the Christian Challenge leadership team, K-State Navigators, Powercat Pride and Gamma Phi Beta sorority, where she served as intramural chair. She received the Kansas Board of Regents Teacher Service Scholarship, served an Inner City Service internship in Kansas City, Kan., and was an English and a second language teacher for Hispanic adults. Berghaus is the daughter of Scott and Jan Berghaus, Lenexa, and a 2007 graduate of Shawnee Mission West High School.
* Molly Emert, elementary education, Mission, College of Education Outstanding Undergraduate Student Award. Emert, a K-State semester honors list student, was a member of the Council for Exceptional Children, Order of Omega Greek honorary, Extending College Education for Lifelong Learners and the Kansas National Education Association. She also was a College of Education student of the month honoree. She was active in her sorority, Pi Beta Phi, serving as head of the etiquette committee and chair of the policy and standards board. She received the Veryle E. and Rosemary Snyder Scholarship, K.C. Panhellenic Academic Scholarship and Pi Beta Phi Foundation Scholarship. The daughter of John and Kimberly Emert, Mission, she is a 2007 graduate of Shawnee Mission East High School.
* Aubrie Adams, elementary education, Newton, College of Education Outstanding Undergraduate Student Award. Adams, a K-State semester honors list student, was a member of K-State Navigators student ministry and activities coordinator for K-State's Freshman Connection. She served as a College of Education Telefund volunteer and was a freshman mentor volunteer. Her service activities include volunteering for a medical mission trip to Oaxaca, Mexico; member and volunteer with Houston Keystone, providing outreach to low socioeconomic communities; and a member and volunteer recruiter with AmeriCorps. Adams is the daughter of Ray and Cheryl Adams, Newton, and a 2007 graduate of Berean Academy.
* Holly VanSkike, secondary education, Oakley, College of Education Outstanding Undergraduate Student Award. VanSkike is a K-State semesters honors list student. She served as historian of Alpha of Clovia and was a member of Kappa Delta Pi education honorary. A 2008 graduate of Butler County Community College, she a National Junior College Athletic Association Distinguished Academic All-American. The daughter of Ed and Debbie Poe, Oakley, she is a 2007 graduate of Oakley High School. VanSkike is married to Luke VanSkike, Norton.
* Chelsea Henning, elementary education, Shawnee, College of Education Outstanding Future Elementary Education Teacher Award. Henning was a member of Project EXCELL, Council for Exceptional Children, Adopt-A-Soldier program and the Kansas National Education Association. She also was active in her sorority, Chi Omega, serving as house manager The daughter of Todd and Kristine Henning, Shawnee, she is a 2006 graduate of Mill Valley High School.