News release prepared by: Katie Mayes, 785-532-6415, email@example.com
K-STATE CELEBRATES SPRING COMMENCEMENT MAY 9, 15 AND 16 IN SALINA AND MANHATTAN
MANHATTAN -- Kansas State University will award nearly 2,300 degrees at spring commencement ceremonies Saturday, May 9, in Salina, and Friday, May 15, and Saturday, May 16, on the Manhattan campus. The class of 2009 is the 142nd to graduate from K-State since the first class in 1867.
To be awarded will be more than 1,900 bachelor's degrees, around 210 master's degrees, about 140 doctoral degrees and nearly 50 associate degrees. Around 60 students will receive multiple degrees, and more than 90 students are earning their degrees through K-State's distance education programs.
K-State's ceremonies kick off with commencement for K-State at Salina at 10 a.m. Saturday, May 9, at the Kansas Highway Patrol Headquarters, 2025 E. Iron Ave., Salina. Dennis Law, who will step down as dean of K-State's College of Architecture, Planning and Design to return to full-time teaching at the end of the school year, will be the commencement speaker.
Ceremonies on the Manhattan campus start May 15 with commencement for the Graduate School at 1p.m. in Bramlage Coliseum. Roger McHaney, K-State professor of management and university distinguished teaching scholar, will be the speaker. Also at the ceremony, K-State's Medal of Excellence will be presented to Warren and Mary Lynn Staley, both 1965 graduates of K-State. Warren Staley is a retired chief executive officer of Cargill Inc. and a member of the K-State College of Engineering Hall of Fame, while Mary Lynn Staley has been active in multiple philanthropic causes in the Minneapolis, Minn., area. The Staleys have contributed to various K-State programs and departments, having made one of the more substantial gifts for the construction of the new home of K-State's School of Leadership Studies.
Commencement for the College of Veterinary Medicine will be at 3:30 p.m. May 15 in McCain Auditorium. The speaker will be Bo Brock, veterinarian and owner of the Brock Veterinary Clinic In Lamesa, Texas.
Ceremonies May 16, all in Manhattan, include:
* College of Arts and Sciences, 8:30 a.m. in Bramlage Coliseum. Commencement speaker will be Bill Snyder, K-State's head football coach.
* College of Architecture, Planning and Design, 10 a.m. in McCain Auditorium. Rick Martin, managing senior principal with Populous, a Kansas City, Mo.-based design firm, will be the speaker.
* College of Education, 11 a.m. in Bramlage Coliseum, with Janice Wissman, associate dean and longtime faculty member of the College of Education, delivering the commencement address.
* College of Business Administration, 12:30 p.m. in Bramlage Coliseum. Duane Cantrell, former president of Payless ShoeSource, will be the speaker.
* College of Agriculture, 2:15 p.m. in Bramlage Coliseum. The speaker will be Anne Hazlett, director of the Indiana Department of Agriculture.
* College of Human Ecology, 4:15 p.m. in Bramlage Coliseum. Commencement speaker will be Denis Medieros, associate dean of the K-State College of Human Ecology and head of the department of human nutrition.
* College of Engineering, 6:15 p.m. in Bramlage Coliseum. Warren Staley will be the speaker.
Commencement ceremonies will be played back May 19-22 on K-State TV, which is Channel 8 on campus and on Cox Cable in Manhattan and Junction City.
The playback schedule is:
* Tuesday, May 19: Graduate School, noon to 2 p.m.; College of Veterinary Medicine, 2-3 p.m.; College of Architecture, Planning and Design, 3-4 p.m.
* Wednesday, May 20: College of Arts and Sciences, noon to 2 p.m.; College of Education, 2-3 p.m.; College of Business Administration, 3-4:30 p.m.; Graduate School, 4:30-6:30 p.m.; and College of Veterinary Medicine, 6:30-7:30 p.m.
* Thursday, May 21: College of Agriculture, noon to 2 p.m.; College of Engineering, 2-4 p.m.; College of Human Ecology, 4-6 p.m.; and College of Education, 6-7 p.m.
* Friday, May 22: College of Architecture, Planning and Design, 8-9 a.m.; College of Arts and Sciences, 9-11 a.m.; College of Human Ecology, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.; College of Business Administration, 1-2:30 p.m.; College of Agriculture, 2:30-4:30 p.m.; and College of Engineering, 4:30-6:30 p.m.
Playbacks will begin at the start time listed unless preceding ceremony lasts longer than time scheduled.
Videotapes of the ceremonies may be ordered through the K-State Student Union Bookstore, 800-KSU-CATS or 785-532-6583.
Distance education students can take part in a virtual commencement ceremony at: