Monday, Feb. 2, 2009
SIDEBAR: K-STATE CAREER AND EMPLOYMENT EXPERT SAYS PROSPECTIVE GRADUATES NEED TO CONTINUE TO BE VIGILANT IN JOB SEARCHES
MANHATTAN -- The fact that Kansas State University bachelor's degree graduates are still landing jobs in their field of expertise doesn't mean that job seekers should sit back and wait for the jobs to come to them, according to Kerri Day Keller, director of K-State's career and employment services.
In times of economic uncertainty, soon-to-be graduates should be more vigilant when looking for employment, Keller said.
Keller has some tips for college students to make sure they're ready to find the right job:
* Keep your resume updated. K-State's career and employment services offers Walk-In Wednesdays where students can have their resumes critiqued for free. In addition, it offers a resume builder at https://ksu.optimalresume.com/ and tips on how best to prepare a cover letter and resume at:
* Make a point to attend as many career fairs as possible. Be sure to bring an ample number of copies of your resume and wear business attire for the event. Talk to as many employers as you can at such events and be ready to sell yourself and your skills. An updated list of career fairs at K-State is available at:
* Take part in mock interviews. Career and employment services conducts mock interview clinics and offers individual practice interviews throughout the school year. Practice interviews can be scheduled at:
* Regularly check internship and job opportunities listed on career and employment services' Web site at http://www.k-state.edu/ces/students/ where internship opportunities and full- or part-time jobs are updated daily.
* Network with everyone and anyone. Get advice from faculty, touch base with previous supervisors, join a professional society, and check with family and friends who might know about the kind of job you want. Connect with other K-Staters through the K-State Alumni Association's Wildcat Connections, LinkedIn and Facebook groups. More information is available at the association's Web site, http://www.k-state.com
* If you are focusing your search on a specific geographic area, industry or career field, you may need additional assistance targeting your efforts. Current students are encouraged to make an appointment with a career and employment services adviser. For contact information or for more details, call 785-532-6506 or go to http://www.k-state.edu/ces/students/contacts.htm