News release prepared by: Katie Mayes, 785-532-6415, firstname.lastname@example.org
Wednesday, Dec. 2, 2009
K-State fall commencement:
MORE THAN 1,250 STUDENTS TO GRADUATE FROM K-STATE DEC. 11 AND 12
MANHATTAN -- Kansas State University's fall commencement ceremonies will be Friday, Dec. 11, and Saturday, Dec. 12, on the K-State campuses in Manhattan and Salina. More than 1,250 students are candidates for graduation.
To be awarded include nearly 1,000 bachelor's degrees, more than 200 master's degrees, about 50 doctoral degrees and more than 10 associate degrees. Around 25 students will receive multiple degrees. More than 120 students have earned their degrees through K-State distance education programs.
Commencement ceremonies Dec. 11 include the Graduate School at 1 p.m. in Bramlage Coliseum with Kirk Schulz, K-State president, as commencement speaker; and K-State at Salina at 7 p.m. in the school's Student Life Center. Former state Sen. U.L. "Rip" Gooch will be the speaker.
Ceremonies Dec. 12 will all be on the Manhattan campus. The schedule and speakers include:
* College of Arts and Sciences, 9 a.m., Bramlage Coliseum, with Brian Spooner, interim dean of the college, as speaker.
* College of Human Ecology, 9 a.m., McCain Auditorium, with Bronwyn Fees, associate professor of family studies and human services, as speaker.
* College of Education, 10:30 a.m., Bramlage Coliseum, with state Rep. Tom Hawk, Manhattan, as the speaker.
* College of Business Administration, noon, Bramlage Coliseum, with David Dreiling, founder and chief executive officer of GTM Sportswear, as speaker.
* College of Agriculture, 1:30 p.m., Bramlage Coliseum, with David Krishock, Baker's National Education Foundation Instructor in K-State's department of grain science and industry, as speaker.
* College of Engineering, 3 p.m., Bramlage Coliseum, with Richard Hayter, former associate dean of the college, as speaker.
A virtual commencement ceremony is available for distance education students at:
Videotapes of the ceremonies may be ordered through the K-State Student Union Bookstore at 800-KSU-CATS or 785-532-6583.
Commencement ceremonies can be seen Dec. 15-17 on K-State TV, channel 8 on campus and on Cox Cable in Manhattan and Junction City. Playbacks will begin at the following start times unless the preceding ceremony lasts longer than the time estimated:
* Tuesday, Dec. 15: Graduate School, 8 a.m. and 2 p.m.; College of Arts and Sciences, 9:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.; College of Education, 11 a.m. and 5 p.m.; and College of Business Administration, 12:30 p.m. and 6:30 p.m.
* Wednesday, Dec. 16: College of Agriculture, 8 a.m. and 2 p.m.; College of Engineering, 9:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.; College of Human Ecology, 11 a.m. and 5 p.m.; and College of Education, 12:30 p.m.* Thursday, Dec. 17: College of Arts and Sciences, 10 a.m.; College of Human Ecology, 11:30 a.m.; College of Business Administration, 1 p.m.; College of Agriculture, 2:30 p.m.; Graduate School, 4 p.m.; and College of Engineering, 5:30 p.m.