Wednesday, Aug. 11, 2010
WEEK OF WELCOME SET FOR NEW, RETURNING K-STATE STUDENTS
MANHATTAN -- Kansas State University has a week of special events to welcome new and returning students to campus, Aug. 22-Sep. 1.
"The Week of Welcome is for all of our students. We want them to know that there are people, services and programs to help them with all facets of their lives as college students," said Gayle Spencer, associate dean of student life at K-State and coordinator of student activities and services.
"The Week of Welcome is exciting because it brings programs from all across campus together under the common theme of helping students -- those entering K-State for the first time as well as students returning to campus," said Phillip Harner, a fifth-year senior in industrial engineering from St. George. "Events during the Week of Welcome provide students with the resources they need to be successful at K-State."
The week starts at 1 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 21, with Walk Your Schedule for nontraditional and transfer students from 1-3 p.m.; students should meet at Caribou Coffee at the K-State Student Union. Also at 1 p.m. the Information Oasis will be available on the west side of Hale Library. It provides information about the K-State Libraries and help with finding classes.
Other Week of Welcome events include:
* Sunday, Aug. 22, Traditions Day. Walk Your Schedule for nontraditional and transfer students is 1-3 p.m., with students meeting at Caribou Coffee in the Union. Walk Your Schedule for new students is 1-4 p.m., with students meeting in the lobbies of the Derby and Kramer dining centers. From 1-5 p.m. the Information Oasis will be on the west side of Hale Library. The College of Engineering Welcome Rally is 4:30-6:15 p.m. in the Rathbone Hall atrium. Open to all students, the event includes a pep rally and grand prizes at 6 p.m. The 2010 K-State Kickoff will be at Bill Snyder Family Stadium from 6:30-8:30 p.m. A free dinner will be from 6:30-7:30 p.m. on the stadium's east concourse, with a student pep rally at 7:15 p.m. inside the stadium.
* Monday, Aug. 23, We're Glad You're Here Day. Events include the Information Oasis at the west side of Hale Library from 7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m., and help booths will be available from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. across campus to assist students.
* Tuesday, Aug. 24, K-State Culture Day. The Information Oasis will be from 7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the west side of Hale Library. The International Open House is 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the International Student Center and provides information to international students and to students who wish to travel abroad. A cultural performance on the Bosco Student Plaza will be from noon to 1 p.m., with the rain location in the Union courtyard.
* Wednesday, Aug. 25, Student Success Day. Wildcat Wellness Wednesday, an activity to help students stay hydrated, happy and healthy, will be from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the Bosco Student Plaza. Also starting at 11 a.m. is career and employment services' free Backyard BBQ on the south lawn of Holtz Hall until 1:30 p.m. The Bosco Student Plaza will feature live music from noon to 1 p.m., with the rain location in the Union courtyard. A free financial refresher will be from noon to 2 p.m. on the lawn northwest of Fairchild Hall. Students can meet their peer financial counselors and advisers from Powercat Financial Counseling, office of student financial assistance and the cashier's office. Free ice pops will be available. The "What Not to Wear" fashion show starts at 2 p.m. in the Leadership Studies Building and will show students what type of attire is appropriate for different social and professional situations.
* Thursday, Aug. 26, Involvement Day. The Part-Time Opportunities Fair is 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the K-State Student Union Ballroom. The Union Expo and Activities Carnival will be 6-9 p.m. at the Union.
* Friday, Aug. 27, Friday Fun Day. Live-Serve-Celebrate will be 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. at Aggieville's Triangle Park. It includes ways for new students to volunteer in the community. The K-State After Hours Block Party will be 7-11 p.m. on the Bosco Student Plaza. The free event includes dance music, prizes and games.
* Tuesday, Aug. 31, and Wednesday, Sept. 1, The Soldier Show will be at 7 p.m. in McCain auditorium. Free advance tickets are available at McCain starting Aug. 16.
More information on Week of Welcome, including campus and commercial sponsors, and related activities planned by student organizations, is available at http://wow.k-state.edu or by contacting email@example.com.