Thursday, April 23, 2009
K-STATE AT SALINA OFFERING VARIETY OF SUMMER CAMPS FOR KIDS 7-18
SALINA -- Kansas State University at Salina is offering Salina area youth a variety of camps this summer. Camp themes include aviation, technology, math and sports.
Discount rates are available for early registration and for enrolling in more than one camp. Unless otherwise specified, the early registration deadline is May 10 at a rate of $100; its $95 when enrolling in multiple camps. The final registration deadline for most camps is May 15 at a rate of $115.
Camps being offered include:
* Virtual World and Electronics Quest, June 8-10, for kids ages 11-14 interested in computers, programming, gaming, robotics or electronics. Campers will create a 3-D virtual world using Alice Software, watch robots in action in K-State at Salina labs, learn programming using games and discover the basics of computer animation.
* Aviation Adventures, June 22-24, is for kids ages 8-10 interested in aviation. Campers will see the inside of an airplane, participate in hands-on projects and learn about a variety of aviation topics, including air traffic control, reading aeronautical charts, flight planning and navigation, meteorology, and running aircraft engines.
* Fantastic Flight, June 29-July 1, is for children ages 11-13 with a passion for aviation. Campers will tour the traffic control tower, go through ground school preparations, learn about flight planning and navigation and get hands-on experience with forces of flight.
* Cooking with Fractions, Aug. 3-5, is for girls 8-12 years old and explores the relationship between math and cooking. Campers will discover what fractions are, learn how to figure equal parts and what improper fractions are, and see how fractions are part of everyday life. The early registration deadline is June 10 for a rate of $100; it is $95 when enrolling in more than one class. The final registration deadline is June 15 at a rate of $115.
* All Sports Day, July 10, is for kids 7-13 years old who want to meet new friends while playing an assortment of fun games. Activities include disc golf, volleyball, mat ball, track races, pickleball, an egg toss and team-building games. The deadline for the early registration rate of $50, or $45 when enrolling in more than one camp, is June 10. The final registration deadline is June 15 at a rate of $65.
* Wildcat Youth Basketball Camp, July 6-9, is for kids 7-13 years old who want to improve their basketball skills. Campers will receive technique development instruction and participate in contests and games. One camp coach to every eight campers will allow for daily individual instruction. The deadline for the early registration rate of $100, or $95 when enrolling in more than one camp, is June 10. The final registration deadline is June 15 at a rate of $115.
Four one-day softball camps also are being offered. All four camps have a May 10 deadline for the early registration rate of $50, or $45 when enrolling in more than one K-State at Salina camp. The final deadline for registration for any of the four camps is May 15 at a rate of $65.
The softball camps and dates are:
* Basic Pitching Camp, June 15, for girls 10-13. Campers will learn how to throw fastballs, curveballs and changeup balls; learn proper throwing techniques; and complete arm strengthening drills.
* Fastpitch Pitching Camp, June 16, girls 14-18. The camp is for girls who play fastpitch softball and throw at least three kinds of pitches. The camp focuses on learning new pitches and advanced drills to fine-tune pitching technique.
* Catcher's Camp, June 17, girls 14-18. The camp is for girls who already play fastpitch. Along with teaching proper catching techniques, the camp will troubleshoot catchers' skills when receiving, blocking pitches and throwing.
* All Players Hitting Camp, June 18, girls 10-18. The camp is for girls who want to learn position training techniques while improve their hitting, base running, and fielding skills -- both infield and outfield.
Registration forms and detailed information about each camp are available at:
http://www.k-statesalinadce.com or by contacting Heather Wagoner at 785-826-2917.