News release prepared by: Becky Sullivan, 785-532-7093, firstname.lastname@example.org
Friday, April 8, 2011
CASE MADE: K-STATE STUDENT FOUNDATION, STUDENT ALUMNI BOARD EARN DISTRICT HONORS FROM LEADING COUNCIL FOR EDUCATIONAL ADVANCEMENT
MANHATTAN -- Two student organizations that help promote and enhance Kansas State University are now award winners.
The K-State Student Foundation and Student Alumni Board recently earned seven District 6 awards from the Affiliated Student Advancement Programs Division of the Council for Advancement and Support of Education.
The K-State Student Foundation, sponsored by the Kansas State University Foundation, raises awareness among current and future alumni about the importance of giving back to K-State and cultivates philanthropy across the university. The Student Alumni Board, which is sponsored by the K-State Alumni Association, promotes the university at a variety of university recruiting and alumni relations activities. Both groups work with outstanding K-State student leaders to enhance the university.
Honors received by the student foundation include:
* Outstanding Organization in District 6. Among the projects the student foundation is involved with include the K-State Proud campaign, relationship building with donors and volunteers leaders of the Kansas State University Foundation and contributing to All-University Campaign events.
* Outstanding Internal Program Award for the foundation's membership development program, which deals with professional development, membership selections and new member orientation.
* Outstanding External Program for the K-State Proud campaign and its success in cultivating student philanthropy among K-State students. The campaign is managed by the student foundation.
* District 6 Outstanding Adviser Award to Mindy Weixelman, senior director of annual giving and student life for the Kansas State University Foundation. The honor recognizes her extensive involvement and leadership with the student foundation for the last five years.
Honors shared or earned by both the K-State Student Foundation and Student Alumni Board included:
* District 6 Outstanding Student Leader Award to Ryan Wilkinson, senior in finance and accounting, Columbia, Mo. Wilkinson was nominated for the honor by both the foundation and the board. He is the current president of the student foundation. He also served as a K-State Student Ambassador, speaking at many alumni association events for prospective students and alumni.
* Tried and True Awards, which recognize grassroots campaigns and programs created and facilitated by student groups. The Student Alumni Board received the honor for its Wildcats Forever student alumni program, an organization that gets students involved with the K-State Alumni Association and establishes a link to keep them connected to the university. The student foundation earned the award for the K-State Proud campaign, which increases student philanthropy.
The Council for Advancement and Support of Education is a professional association serving educational institutions and the advancement professionals who work on their behalf in alumni relations, communications, development, marketing and allied areas. District 6 includes 188 member institutions in Kansas, Colorado, Iowa, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota and Wyoming.