Around 2,900 students are candidates for degrees from Kansas State University this spring. Commencement ceremonies will be Saturday, May 8, on the K-State at Salina campus, and Friday, May 14, and Saturday, May 15, on the K-State campus in Manhattan.
The class of 2010 is the 143rd to graduate from K-State since the first class in 1867.
Commencement for K-State at Salina will be at 10 a.m. May 8 in the campus' new Student Life Center. Pat Bosco, K-State's vice president for student life and dean of students, will be the commencement speaker.
Graduate degrees will be awarded Friday, May 14, in ceremonies on the Manhattan campus. The Graduate School ceremony will be at 1 p.m. in Bramlage Coliseum, and the College of Veterinary Medicine ceremony will be at 3:30 p.m. in McCain Auditorium. Commencement speakers are April Mason, K-State provost and senior vice president, for the Graduate School, and Dan Thomson, the Jones Professor of Production Medicine and Epidemiology and director of the Beef Cattle Institute at K-State, for the College of Veterinary Medicine.
The schedule of ceremonies May 15 and speakers include:
* College of Arts and Sciences, 8:30 a.m., Bramlage Coliseum, with Provost Mason.
* College of Architecture, Planning and Design, 10 a.m., McCain Auditorium, with Ben Hakimian, a New York City real estate developer who earned a bachelor's in architecture from K-State in 1967.
* College of Business Administration, 12:30 p.m., Bramlage Coliseum, with K-State President Kirk Schulz.
* College of Education, 11 a.m., Bramlage Coliseum, with Diane DeBacker, Kansas commissioner of education.
* College of Agriculture, 2:15 p.m., Bramlage Coliseum, with Adrian Polansky, executive director of the Kansas State Farm Service Agency.
* College of Human Ecology, 4:15 p.m., Bramlage Coliseum, with President Schulz.
* College of Engineering, 6:15 p.m., Bramlage Coliseum, with Douglas G. Smith, senior vice president of Tetra Tech Inc. and a 1971 graduate of K-State with a bachelor's in civil engineering.
A virtual commencement ceremony for distance students is available at http://www.dce.k-state.edu/students/commencement/.
Videotapes of the ceremonies may be ordered through the K-State Student Union Bookstore at 800-KSU-CATS or 785-532-6583.
Ceremonies will be shown May 18-20 on K-State TV, channel 8 on campus and on Cox Cable in Manhattan and Junction City. Playbacks will begin at the following start times unless the preceding ceremony lasts longer than the time estimated:
* Tuesday, May 18: Graduate School, 2 p.m.; and Veterinary Medicine, 4 p.m.
* Wednesday, May 19: Arts and Sciences, 2 p.m.; Architecture, Planning and Design, 4 p.m.; and Education, 6 p.m.
* Thursday, May 20: Business Administration, 2 p.m.; Agriculture, 4 p.m.; Human Ecology, 8 p.m.; and Engineering, 10 p.m.
* Monday, May 24: Graduate School, 8 a.m.; and Veterinary Medicine, 10 a.m.
* Tuesday, May 25: Arts and Sciences, 2 p.m.; and Architecture, Planning and Design, 4 p.m.
* Wednesday, May 26: Education, 2 p.m.; Business Administration, 4 p.m.; and Agriculture, 6 p.m.
* Thursday, May 27: Human Ecology, 2 p.m.; and Engineering, 4 p.m.